Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

browny spicer aux trans

gwhammy · 2022-09-18 21:43

I've found a 5531 spicer browny aux transmission and contemplating putting it in a 09 f350 I've put together. These are under direct and overdrive. The 09 has 4.10 gears with the 5r110 transmission and I've put a newly freshened 12 valve cummins in it. I don't need the under drive but was thinking it should stand up to the cummins in direct pulling a trailer and then have od for empty truck and trailer. Never been in a truck with one of these, heard they were noisy in OD. It would be nice running 65 to 75 not to be turning 2500 rpms. Any info would be appreciated.

Replies42
  1. #1JaredV2022-09-19 00:26

    That might be a little light for a 12V. I think the next size up is the 6041 which would be a 4 speed with deep under and would handle under and over with a load, because what's the point of having more gears if you can't use them loaded? I have a 5831 which is the newer version of the 5531 in my little '52 IH 3 yard dump truck. It's got straight cut gears so it's pretty noisy in OD but I don't spend a lot of time in it so it's no big deal. I'd rather not go on a long road trip listening to that whine. The 6041 I understand is quiet. If all you want is another higher gear, you might be better off with a Gear Vendor overdrive.

  2. #2gwhammy2022-09-19 01:02

    Gear Vendor won't stand up to what I do. I have an 06 Ford f350 with 4.10 gears and the five speed automatic that pulls the loads great. I just wish it had a higher gear when unloaded. Don't need a lower gear as this is a fwd so I have low lock to move anything I want and the ford automatic along with 4.10 gears gets moving real nice on pavement. I'll look into the heavier one and probably pass on the small one.

  3. #3Coaldust2022-09-19 03:04

    Which ever model you choose, don’t forget the extra tall stick option.

  4. #4cfherrman2022-09-19 16:14

    Now you can't post about a 12v Cummins 5r110 and not post pictures

  5. #5gwhammy2022-09-19 17:17

    I'll try but i'm pretty computer illeterate. I actually had a buddy put in the motor in his spare time. Blasting and painting a flatbed for it right now. Found a 09 f350 cab and chassis with 91,000 miles on it with blown 6.4 and new rebuilt 5r100. Had a fresh rebuilt 5.9 already just need to finish. It has 19.5 aluminum rims also and new paint job, the guy didn't like the color of it. I'd hate to tell you how much I have in it but I'm guessing around what it would have cost to put a used 6.4 back in it.

  6. #6gwhammy2022-09-20 19:27

    I've been looking around and those browny spicer aux trans are like chicken teeth. Just guessing they are laying in a corner of barn long forgotten with most not even knowing what they are.

  7. #71693TA2022-09-20 19:39

    Old technology for sure. I don't have any spares but the 6231D in my 51 Mack dump truck does well and if loaded you don't skip any gears. I think if you could adapt a Ford 6L140 trans behind that Cummins you would be plenty happy.

  8. #8JaredV2022-09-20 20:43

    I watched Craigslist for a year or more before I found mine.

  9. #9JPV2022-09-20 21:55

    A gear vendor will hold up fine with your 12 valve, would be curious why you think it won't. I have one behind mine in an 84 GMC 3500 and it is fine. I have 4.10 gears and the NV 4500 5 speed and when pulling my 29' 5th wheel I leave the transmission in direct and the gear vendor in overdrive to save the weak overdrive gear in the tranny. When running empty it sails down the freeway at 75 no problem. They are built to handle 2000 horsepower in drag racing applications, it's the way to go and way easier to find and install although expensive.

  10. #10Junkyard2022-09-20 22:22

    Yep there are cars running this week for Hot Rod drag week running in the 6’s with Gear Vendors so they can drive from track to track.

  11. #11gwhammy2022-09-21 04:17

    Guy down the road put one in a Ford and tore it out in less than 6 months. I'm between 4 and 500 horse power and gross 35,000 lbs. a lot with the big mini ex on. Just heard they won't stand up to the torque and heavy weight. They don't recommend towing over 25,000 lbs. total in a commercial application. I actually have a gv on the shelf out of a mid 90's twd ford one ton with automatic.

  12. #12terex herder2022-09-21 13:38

    Sounds like the picture of your truck should go in the overload of the day thread.

  13. #13crane operator2022-09-21 16:43

    Too bad they don't build bigger trucks and transmissions with more gears to haul equipment around on.

  14. #14Tyler d4c2022-09-21 16:48

    Beet me to it people want to hual stuff with there glorified pickup trucks a 35000 pound plate and insurance is the same cost if it's a f450 or a single screw tractor and the later is much safer and probably cheaper to maintain in the end.

  15. #15gwhammy2022-09-21 17:52

    Poor man has poor ways. Trailer has 12,000 axles, truck I'm using now weighs 8000 lbs. and is a one ton. Handles it good and stops good. I do have a tandem dump truck with a triple axle air ride trailer to haul on I just like the pickup. Being a one man band you can only support so much overhead. Beat on me all you want it's just the way I roll, been in the business for 44 years with no accidents from equipment problems.

  16. #16DMiller2022-09-21 18:35

    Mo Brownshirts are expanding the keen evil eye of overloaded trucks. Have builder sheets in electronic files awaiting the accidents to spring on unsuspecting too small tow vehicle operators. Hot Shot minimal load service is one thing, overloaded to GVWR is another.

  17. #17cfherrman2022-09-21 19:10

    Dot will pull over a dually pickup with a trailer more often than a truck because of drivers not knowing safety. That's why when you do overloads you use a 3/4 ton pickup so you don't get pulled over.

  18. #18crane operator2022-09-29 15:11

    As much fun as I have kidding about this Thread, I really want to see pictures of your ford with the cummins and some details on where you are at time and $$ wise. I spotted a f-550 a while back with a bad 6.4, manual trans, two wheel drive, and I'd like a pretty stock p-pump 12v or 24v in it. My concerns are having the time and the electrical. From what I've read, most of the issues are sorted, but like with any swap, the last 10% of it is the tough part- getting everything to work with no idiot lights going. I don't need 500hp out of it, or to haul 30,000- I have real trucks for that , I just would like something a little newer and less miles on it, but I'm not buying a $70,000 truck.

  19. #19Truck Shop2022-09-29 18:15

    Folks notice I haven't posted a thing in this thread. Winches-winches are for people who think of them as a back up system after they already drove way past the vehicles limits. Only to tear up more ****. Limited slip, are for people who think they now have traction up the ass {40 grit according to Spud}. So they have unlimited traction till they get buried, then out comes the winch cable to save the day, only to tear up more ****. More power-more power is needed to keep the air operated front locker and rear locker just a churning, till it gets really buried, then out comes the winch only to tear up more ****. Lower gear ratio-is now needed because of the super aggressive tire package and lift kit for extra ground clearance, so they stand on it even harder and really sink it, so out comes the winch only to tear more **** up. Overdrive-is now needed because of the low gear ratio and too high rpm for highway, so extra weight added again and ruined driveline angles which tears up a driveline, yoke, and a pinion, along with a few other things, really buried up to it's ass this time, so out comes the winch only to tear more **** up. Except he forgot one thing, the Harbor Freight winch he bought roasted two weekends ago tearing up more ****.

  20. #20DMiller2022-09-29 18:26

    My little wagon will do me fine for the moneys I have in it.

  21. #21Truck Shop2022-09-29 18:46

    yes it will.

  22. #22gwhammy2022-09-29 20:06

    If I was doing a manual I'd use the dodge transmission so you don't have to buy an adapter. I'm just guessing I have 4000 or so in adapter parts and wiring and somewhere around 3500 in labor from my mechanic using it as part time to fill in at his shop. He also rebuilt the 12 valve in his spare time but he also does a lot of work on my equipment and trucks so I don't really have a breakdown, he gives me a bill and I pay it. Look on cummins conversion for the parts, wiring harness and motor mounts make it a lot easier.

  23. #23cfherrman2022-09-29 20:30

    $4000 is worth to have the best pickup auto you can find. My harbor freight winch has dead lifted many heavy things including my N14 in frame with radiator wet and set it on and off my trailer, front tires off the ground.

  24. #24Truck Shop2022-09-29 20:35

    good. it keeps the economy going.

  25. #25Camshawn2022-09-29 21:26

    Once we didn’t have a winch on our truck, we became a lot more reserved about going down a hill if there was any possibility of having to come back up it. That being said, we go a lot of places with our truck and camper that others fear to tread. Cam

  26. #26JPV2022-09-29 21:31

    I miss my winch, need to get it mounted again. You have to think about what you are doing when getting in a bad spot to make sure you have something to winch to or it does no good like Truck Shop says but it sure is handy. Works great for pulling elk out sometimes too.

  27. #27Truck Shop2022-09-29 21:40

    Never had a winch on either of my jeeps. A lot of places I went you couldn't scrape up enough sagebrush to winch off. Guy here in town owns napa store was winching a elk up from a draw 3 years ago-1/4" cable broke. Came back and slashed his face/neck made a mess of him. Because he is such a cheap bugger his nick name became {Snidely---Snidely Whiplash}.

  28. #28Camshawn2022-09-29 22:09

    I only used my winches a few times when I first was feeling my way around off-roading. Getting my self out from where I should never have gone. After that it was more about pulling someone else out of somewhere they should not have been. It did give me the confidence to push the limits a little. The last time I used a winch, I was getting the tractor out of a hole. Glad I had one around. Cam

  29. #29cfherrman2022-09-30 09:15

    I've driven stakes in the ground and then used a chain boomer to move a truck to hook up to a trailer when it was too muddy to back up straight to it lol

  30. #301693TA2022-09-30 10:10

    For the most part I have winches on anything related to trucks, or trailers. They are hardly ever used for self extraction, but have been in the past. One of my R model Mack trucks has a 100K "Tulsa 80" mechanical winch, and I have a 12K Harbor Freight winch built up on a plate I slide into a receiver hitch for extraction or skidding logs on our property powered by jumper cables from the vehicle working very well. Photos are a couple years old and I'm not looking forward to that white crap anytime soon. Mack: Harbor Freight: A winch can be a very handy tool to have access to at times.

  31. #31Old Doug2022-09-30 10:14

    I would like to see some one do some real world testing of the different add on overdrives. Yes they are getting tested in the cars but that is a little different from a truck were you have weight on the drive tires putting all the torque to them you have and not able to spin. Yes the cars are putting alot of power to the ground but it dosent seem the same as a pickup putting power to the ground. I worked on stuff for a guy that had Gear vendors in his Chevy 1 tons. The one Chevy was a 1983 4x4 with a utility box it was way overloaded all the time and he always pulled a trailer. It had a th400 i hated driving it . I think a trans would last about 30.000 miles. He put a Gear Vendor on it i think 3 years before he retierd . The anus clutch went out of it. He thought the trans went out it had reverse but wouldnt go forward. I spent a cold weekend in a unheated shop swapping the trans to find out it was the gear vendor. I think the gear vendor is a good unit but i dont know about it being used pulling big loads for thousands of miles.

  32. #32Truck Shop2022-09-30 19:31

    Yeah I have a winch on the tow truck--for baboon truck drivers.

  33. #33Jumbo2022-09-30 19:53

    Bursting bubbles with dose of reality. (Well said.)

  34. #34Truck Shop2022-09-30 19:57

    Spent too many hours in a tow truck dealing with those types. Then they want to tell you how to recover it, that's when you drive away.

  35. #351693TA2022-09-30 20:15

    I added a few $$$ to the invoice as "tolerance" adjustment myself. Money was always the same shade of green to me; just more of it when I'm told how to do my job.

  36. #36Truck Shop2022-09-30 20:22

    Lets see---a retired ffa radar engineer, body shop, tow truck driver, hauler of farm equipment. how many years did you spend on radar. I'm not that greedy.

  37. #37Truck Shop2022-09-30 20:22

    @

  38. #381693TA2022-09-30 20:47

    A few. 34 years, 3 months, 17 days if you are counting on radar equipment. Four years of that was defending your right to the freedoms you enjoy and so casually take for granted. Lot more money owning and running a business correctly than working to ensure others profit from your toil; but some cannot do it and find it much easier to generate drama on the internet hiding behind their cloak of shame. This can be the opening stanza if you desire, or you could simply close your trap. Either way is fine with me.

  39. #39Truck Shop2022-09-30 21:47

    Your a hero for sure. But remember this isn't Big Mack Truck Forums. There won't be any opening stanzas.

  40. #401693TA2022-09-30 22:39

    You are swearing ignorance having a hard time keeping your trap shut. The BMT forums? "Soap Opera" there and on par with your drama trains. No longer a participant in several years. Do you fly in aircraft? Royalties are dependent upon traffic counts and I can always use more. That's not greed, just business. From the time you are wheels off payment there is money going into my pocket so I say "Thank You Sir"! This is getting fun; no?

  41. #41digger242j2022-10-01 10:13

    How about you two knock it off?

  42. #421693TA2022-10-01 10:55

    Gladly; Thought I'd addressed that?