So the big truck show was this past weekend and I've caught a bug. At my old company we restored a 58 Mack B61 a few years back and we'll usually bring home a trohpy or two. When I got home I did the worst thing a guy could do...got on the net and searched for old trucks for sale lol. The closest thing to where I live that I could find was a 74 Kenworth W925 day cab. It's a pretty fair price for what the truck is in its age. Low mileage 250xxx and the outside doesnt look bad from the pictures. The man that owns it said all the majors are in good condition but that the interior will need some work. I'm looking to pick up something for under 10 grand to fix up here and there and to take to the shows and toy around with. So if anybody has any information or stories with one I'd be glad to hear it. I'm probably going to ride up to take a look at it this afternoon.
So I got up to look at the truck today! It's really not in bad shape for its age. Its a solid truck the hood and cab is straight. There's been a spot on the hood that had a fiberglass repair but other than that....The bumber and grill are a little rusty. The interior needs a little help....headliner, replace the wood floors a good cleaning. The engine is a Cummins NTC350 with a 8 speed OD transmission w/ 4.10 gears. Torsion bar rear suspension everything was there and looked tight. Steel bud wheels with no tires having less than 50% tread. No front brakes but from what I'm reading it's grandfathered in somehow....if I buy it its going to be tagged historic so I dont think that will apply. By the time I got there everybody in the shop was gone so I couldnt hear her run or to drive it around their yard. Really the only thing I think it needs is some new chrome, paint and a good polishing.
Got any pics? 250,000 miles for a 37 year old truck? If it really only has that few miles it should be in great shape.
It really isn't in bad shape at all Mike. My brother took a bunch of pictures with his phone...I'll have him send them to me and I'll try to post them up. I made it up there Friday afternoon to hear it run. It fired right up and had a little smoke at an idle which is common for those style cummins. Sounded great no knocks or anything like that. The owner told me that at 100,xxx it wiped the came due to a bad lifter and cummins did a complete inframe on the truck. Drove it around the parking lot and tried to get as many gears I could in a small area.