Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

older trucks for work

hiluxman ยท 2011-05-25 22:03

we where doing a job today and we hirerd a copmany to come with a bobcat and the truck was horable it was a 1981 gmc 1 ton c30 flatdeck and the bobcat went on the back and it un loaded with wooden ramps the bobcat on the otherhand was a brand new bobcat s100 with 40 hours on it has anyone seen a worktruck that sould be taken of the road

Replies8
  1. #1cutting edge2011-05-25 22:34

    I'll bet there's one somewhere in your town overloaded with capital letters,periods and commas!

  2. #2koldsteele2011-05-25 23:34

    Hey dont knock my old truck ........6 more payments and she's all mine ..lol

  3. #3hiluxman2011-05-26 09:34

    What i ment was that the truck didn't seem roadworthy. And I'm shocked a business will use a junk truck.

  4. #4brushmaster902011-07-15 23:06

    Is it a rebuilt engine or did it run like crap to............. Wait ive got a truck like that but I dont use it unless I have to.

  5. #5OmniEquipped2011-07-16 17:24

    I love old trucks, but I don't use them in public unless they are presentable. LOL I recently bought a well-used 1966 Loadstar 1600 dump truck. It looks like something from the Beverly Hillbillies. It has Fred Flintstone floors, needs paint, marker lights, etc, but the old truck actually runs and drives pretty well. Some of my guys asked me if I was going to use it as is. I said sure, I'll just write "Trailer Park Trucking" on the doors and hit the road with it. They got a kick out of it, but I am actually going to paint it and fix a few little things and use it occasionally to haul a load or pull a pintle hitch, locally of course. Old iron is just a hobby for me.

  6. #6capt_met2011-07-16 18:01

    I like my old '79 c65 as well. gas engine doesn't have ots of power but the gearing gets the job done. paid for it with the first job. in fact i am looking for a flatbed version of the same truck. it is well kept up and has good paint on it so i think it's more than presentable. get compliments on it often.

  7. #7Autocar2011-07-16 20:19

    Don't judge the book by the cover ! I'll take a older truck any time, taken care of there last a man for many of years.

  8. #8oceanobob2011-07-16 22:44

    I've heard said: Any man can get a new truck on lease or payments, but only certain men can keep an older truck running well and looking good. These older trucks costs less in insurance and tags, may not require smog if sufficient vintage, and are generally simpler ..... I wonder if a 2011 duramax or power stroke will be around in 40 years like a 70 chevy stepside 4wd or a 2 inch lowered and smoothed chevy fleetside 2wd?