Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

740a Series VI

BearGuy · 2026-06-19 00:15

Hello, I recently got myself a Volvo/Champion 740A series VI and had a couple questions. I’ve never ran a grader before but figured it was the easiest way to learn. I have a bit of work to do to it but it runs/drives and all the functions work. 1. Is there a reasonable place to get parts + service manuals? I found one on EBay out of the states but it is quite expensive. 2. I seem to have a cylinder issue on either 1 or 6 depending how it is laid out. It smokes blue at idle and has a slight miss, Doesn’t smoke or miss really under load but a little bit after stopping it goes back to smoking. I temped manifold and found the cylinder closest to the front to be cold after I started it. I am hoping injector maybe? I’ve read they are notorious for them. 3. Any places in western Canada that wreck them? I would like to find a mold board in better shape than my own without buying a new one for $7800 from Volvo.

Replies10
  1. #1cuttin edge2026-06-19 04:39

    Welder Dave is in Alberta. He has mentioned places for manuals and parts. Im sure he'll chime in when he sees this. Everything Volvo is expensive. Slide bushings on the moldboard are plastic and 600 bucks a side

  2. #2BearGuy2026-06-19 07:34

    Luckily enough I just happened to get an auction lot for a pretty reasonable price that had several different duramide wear parts in it among lots of other Champion things.

  3. #3James Sorochan2026-06-19 19:58

    This site only shows some series 2 and 3 but may help you anyways.

  4. #4Welder Dave2026-06-20 20:08

    Elvaan Equipment Solutions in Edmonton/ Ontario were the Champion/Volvo grader experts but just looked online it appears they filed for bankruptcy last year which really sucks!

  5. #5BearGuy2026-06-20 20:21

    My understanding was that Elvaan bought jade equipment then proceeded to go out of business and everything got auctioned off the beginning of this year I think? I would love to find a wing after I get the motor running right, It came with posts for one but no wing.

  6. #6Welder Dave2026-06-20 20:42

    You saw my post before I edited it. I was going to get the phone number when I discovered the bankruptcy. There was a guy named Kyle Martin on Facebook that apparently has some Champion and Volvo parts. I don't know if the receiver was still selling any parts or not. I would think there's some snow wings kicking around though. Champion were very popular in Canada. Someone on the forum mentioned a place in Saskatchewan (I think) that has Champion parts. I'm in Edmonton and sure wish I would have known about the auction.

  7. #7Silveroddo2026-06-28 10:05

    The guys that bought Jade went under? Can't say I've ordered anything from them in quite awhile, but that's really unfortunate. Volvo has been pretty good the last few years for anything I've needed but if that changes at anytime I won't be shocked. Is Series VI a typo or is there really such thing as a series 6 machine? I was thinking the Champions painted Volvo colors prior to the B series were a Series 5.

  8. #8BearGuy2026-06-28 12:56

    Series VI was released in 99, There is a brochure for them on graderspro site. So far Volvo has what I’ve asked about but the parts guy said it’s because my serial # starts with 31, He said lots of the older 20 serial numbers are hard to get parts for.

  9. #9Silveroddo2026-06-28 16:13

    Interesting, I've got one that I assumed was a series 5 but now I'm going to have to do some digging, it looks like it could be a series 6

  10. #10Welder Dave2026-06-28 21:50

    Good that Volvo has some parts but they are crazy high in price! Way worse than Cat or JD. Still sucks Jade is gone. They did know their stuff and had a lot of used parts.