Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

’75 JD 310 Swing Cylinder Rebuild

runamok ยท 2025-03-23 00:03

So I just finished rebuilding and reinstalling the swing cylinders on my 310. I took advantage of the down time while the injection pump was being rebuilt to do these and the stabilizers, all of which badly needed to be done. While working on the swing cylinders, I disconnected the hydraulic lines to the rear of the cylinder to make removal and reinstallation easier. But, stupidly, I didn't mark which hose went to which cylinder. Here's a picture of where they leave the valve. One from the top two way fitting and one from the bottom. Anyone know which goes to which side? Also a picture of the swing cylinders for reference on the design. Thanks in advance y'all. -Z

Replies9
  1. #1runamok2025-03-24 11:22

    Bump. Here's hoping one of y'all hydraulic wizards can help me out. Thanks -Z

  2. #2Diesel Dave2025-03-24 15:50

    The swing control valve top 2 way fitting goes to the rear of the right side cylinder and the front of the left side cylinder (when sitting in the b/hoe seat).

  3. #3runamok2025-03-24 16:06

    Excellent, thank you very much! Next question, I drained the hydraulic oil and checked all my filters when I pulled the cylinders. Is there a proper method of recharging the system after refilling the sump? Thanks again, - Z

  4. #4Diesel Dave2025-03-24 16:47

    Did you remove and clean the transmission oil pump intake screen when the oil was drained ?

  5. #5runamok2025-03-24 16:53

    I did. I had done this last summer and it was still clean as a whistle.

  6. #6Diesel Dave2025-03-24 17:03

    The service manual and operators manual make no mention of a start up procedure after draining the transmission sump.

  7. #7runamok2025-03-24 19:45

    Yeah, I didn't see anything in my manual either. Does that mean I just start it up and go? When I replaced the hydraulic pump and cleaned the screen over the summer I remember the shop rebuilt the pump for me had me do something, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was.

  8. #8Simon C2025-03-24 22:07

    If a sump is below a pump, putting just even 1PSI to the opening of the filler neck can help push the oil up to the pump. I have a variable trigger blow gun that you can put out just a little air with the blow gun neck into the filler and a rag ball over the hole while someone else is cranking it over. You can feel even a little air on the rag ball. The more oil in the sump the easier, and too much air means you will have a bath. Let off air from the blow gun first and remove rag slowly. Simon C

  9. #9runamok2025-03-26 11:33

    All put back together and operating. Thanks y'all