Hi, I have an older 580B (73) that turns over very well, but won't start. I put new fuel filters on it about 9 months ago, and with the help of a little starting fluid, it started and ran well. Unfortunately, my dad passed away and I lost all interest in the backhoe until a few days ago when I decided to start her up to move some trees that had fallen down. Well like I said, she turns over well, but no start! I tried bleeding the filters, and the lower filter has fuel in it, but fuel does not exit the upper filter when I crank the motor or blow into the fuel tank. It has a full tank of fuel and I am at a loss in what could be the problem! Actually, in the back of my mind I am hoping I don't have a bad injection pump. I am not much of a mechanic, but can do some things, and it's hard bleeding the fuel system when you are by yourself. I really don't want to spray a lot of starting fluid into the machine to avoid a total lock-up. I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!
If the lower filter has fuel in it, it had to come from the upper..?? MAKE SURE the fuel is ON.. there’s a shut off petcock on the bottom of the tank.. I’m going to assume it’s a RoosaMaster inj pump..?? Loosen the fitting that is feeding the inj pump @ the back of the pump.. And wait until u get fuel there, it may take a little while seeing its all gravity fed.. In the meantime, remove the fittings, ALL THE FITTINGS from the top cover of the inj pump.. Once u get fuel at the inlet (back of the pump) tighten it up.. Follow the steel lines from the pump up to the injectors in the head.. Loosen as many as u can get to.. U don’t have to take the lines off.. just loosen them a turn or two..THAT will allow any air in the lines to escape..while you are cranking the engine. You’ll probably need to use the 2 wrench method.. 1 to hold the injector and 1 to turn/loosen the nut on the line.. Pull the throttle to wide open and crank the engine. A COUPLE 10 second bursts on the starter, looking for any signs of fuel squirting out of the loosened lines should be sufficient.. If no signs of fuel at the lines, leads me to believe the problem may be deeper..?? Give that a try and get back to us..
BTW.. 9 months on a filter is almost a year.. Time for a new set.. + it’ll help u diagnose your problem..
Thanks pumpguy!