Serial #515845382 So, this machine will not charge the battery. Alternator is relatively new. And it works when you send power to the field wire. So it is a wiring or ECM problem I think, but I have a couple of questions. The field wire is controlled by the switched power relay in the fuse box. And I have a code 64-03 on the monitor "switched power relay off". All other functions work. I actually have been looking at this problem for a couple of years, but the customer was more inclined to jump start it and put a charger on it when he wasn't using it, instead of letting me spend time on it, so I just kind of forgot about it. But he started calling me about it a month or two back. And it took him leaving despondent messages on my voice mail every other day for the last two weeks to get me to show up. So, I had a little time this morning and cruised over. First I asked (because I couldn't remember) what the problem was. He said that it wouldn't start; even with cables and that he thought he may have burnt up a relay or solenoid. So, I get there and check everything. Battery is 4 months old, connections are solid and it has sufficient voltage on the multi meter. And when I turn the key, nothing. Gonna skip a few steps here. I just about always have a good 31 series battery on the truck. So I put it in and it started right up. Actually, I think it was a Napa 7539. So, before we delve into the rest of this, my first question is what battery is supposed to be in this machine? Because, the battery tray is big enough for the one I had with me and he had a 35 series on the machine. My second question is a bit harder. I have done a little research on the 64-03 code. There isn't much on this site. But on a couple of other sites(with worse info, like "just answer" and "tractor by net") that I looked at, it seemed like the code usually presented with issues having something to do with the HVAC system. When I figured out that the switched power relay was part of the charging circuit I was using a wire diagram that I thought was close enough but didn't include any HVAC wiring. So I am wondering what the switched power relay actually does on machines that have HVAC. Because this one has a heater (blower does not turn on) And the front door has been removed. I have removed doors off a few skids for various reasons and I always had to do a little creative wiring in order to make things work. This one just has the plug hanging. So I thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone might have a more accurate wire diagram or maybe can tell me where my thinking has gone off track. In the mean time I have wired in fused circuit with a momentary switch to start the alternator charging. The alternator seems to put out 14.09 volts at any engine speed. So that seems like an acceptable temporary fix. It will be charging from the time he hits the switch until he shuts the engine off, but I cannot imagine this machine working for any longer than 45 minutes at a stretch. And my understanding is that the ECU doesn't see a problem unless the voltage reaches 15 volts.
if the machine has triangular shaped headlights, check the alt/kits fuse. on G series machines that fuse also provides power to the back up alarm, if the alarm itself is shorted, or the switches are shorting out it blows the fuse and the alt stops charging
Thanks, but the fuses are all fine.
my best guess would be that the field wire is broken someplace in the harness
My guess would be a bad ground somewhere. Check the relay with power probe or something of that nature. Start grounding alt etc and see if that has ant affect.
I checked continuity from the relay to the alternator. That's an idea. I don't think I checked to see if the relay had a good ground leg. I rarely do when I have a single problem to diagnose. Most of the relays have a common ground. But a broken ground wire from the relay itself would do it. Thanks. This machine isn't much of a priority because it doesn't belong to one of my contractors, just a really nice older gentleman. and my temporary solution kind of solves the immediate problem. Sorry that I haven't checked back sooner. But pretty soon I need to get back to it And I will check the ground and anything anyone else comes up with. Need to get my battery back anyway.
Do you remember what you came up with? I have a t300 throwing the same code and not charging. I checked all the relay, 5amp fuse #8, and wiring and everything is good, I can jump the terminals in the relay and make the machine charge, I just don’t have power to the control side of the solenoid. When I traced wires it goes back to the main controller. I’m leaning towards a bad controller, but I just want to confirm that with that code being active it doesn’t shut that circuit off or find out what you came up with. Thanks!
I never actually went back. The owner was pretty satisfied with my starter button solution and he died a couple of months later. So the only way I will get to find out what the actual solution is, is if the new owner reaches out to me.