Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

755 steering problems

B.e.d77 ยท 2020-02-08 18:02

I have a john deere 755 serial #296348 As soon as you try to track forward it want to go hard to the right. Pedals feel normal and you can hit the left pedal to straighten it out but as soon as you let off it goes right again any ideas would be helpful dont no much about this machine everything else works great but it has been sitting awhile Thank you

Replies20
  1. #1mg23612020-02-08 18:48

    Straight 755, not a B, C, etc? Does it mistrack in reverse?

  2. #2B.e.d772020-02-08 20:31

    I dont see any letter on the serial # or in the book. Yes it mistracks in reverse as well

  3. #3Welder Dave2020-02-08 23:37

    I think a straight 755 and looks to be a 1978 from the serial number.

  4. #4mg23612020-02-09 05:16

    That would be correct Dave, invoiced in 1978 so it is a straight 755. (Did not have access to my laptop yesterday). B.e.d77, Does it mistrack at at all travels speeds, creep to full speed?

  5. #5B.e.d772020-02-09 10:11

    Sorry should of said the original owner said he bought it in the late 70s. As far as mistracking at all speeds it still tracks hard to the right at the fastest speed I have been brave enough to try. The original owner said it sat for 8 years before I bought it. I dont no if a break is stuck or what I have heard these can be a bear to work on

  6. #6Welder Dave2020-02-09 12:44

    Does the right track turn under power at all? If not I wonder if the right transmission pump is turning? My former neighbor had a 755 and I recall it had a splitter for each pump and a cold weather disconnect for starting. I read they can be problematic.

  7. #7B.e.d772020-02-09 14:07

    I can get the right track to turn by hitting the left break when we first got it running and track it on the trailer it tracked fine from what I remember (6 months ago) then after moving it around the lot is when it started to mistrack

  8. #8Welder Dave2020-02-09 14:10

    Sounds like a valve or something in the control is stuck and/or gummed up.

  9. #9B.e.d772020-02-09 15:10

    That is what I'm kind of leaning to I took the valve apart that the steering linkage goes to everything moved freely so idk if it could be in the brake assembly

  10. #10Welder Dave2020-02-09 15:33

    mg2361 will likely have some ideas and things to check.

  11. #11B.e.d772020-02-09 20:23

    Ok thank you for your help Dave

  12. #12mg23612020-02-10 04:10

    If you have the floor board off disconnect the right steering linkage from the valve. Then while sitting in the seat move your travel lever to full forward (with at engine idle) and use your foot to move the right lever to full travel. Does it track straight then? Also if your machine has a charge pressure gauge on the dash what does it read in neutral and when traveling? One splitter box that drives both sides. The linkage (if it had that cold start option) would seize and then the operator would pull the lever to start then release it and the clutch would remain disengaged. However that would affect both transmissions, not one side.

  13. #13B.e.d772020-02-10 10:42

    Ok I will try that I did take the steering valve out and check that all the spool valves moved freely which they did. I then took it out and ran it for about 15 min and it started to leak hydraulic fluid out of the rear of the machine just in front of the counter weights. It appears it was leaking the whole time just had enough dirt sealing it off. Could the leaking hose be supplying something to release the right break?

  14. #14Welder Dave2020-02-10 11:44

    Leaking hose could be the whole cause of it.

  15. #15B.e.d772020-02-10 11:48

    That's kind of what I'm thinking after seeing that last night I'm going to tear into it later today after a good cleaning of 40 year old slop

  16. #16Welder Dave2020-02-10 11:52

    Make sure you're not introducing water and/or dirt into the system when cleaning.

  17. #17B.e.d772020-02-10 21:21

    So I found the leak it was in a 1/4 ID steel hydraulic line my question now is I'm sure it was steel for a reason but is it going to be a problem putting a rubber one back on. Dont no how big of a pain it would be to get a new steel line

  18. #18mg23612020-02-11 04:18

    All the way to the right side under the floor board is a valve with a cable going to it and and at the spool end there is a block with a hole for pumping off the brake when the machine is dead. There is a steel line from that valve to the motor half of the transmission. At the motor end there is a tee on the steel line with hoses to the individual transmissions. It could be leaking, however that would be affecting the brakes on both sides at the same time. So I don't think that is the issue. Those machines rarely had brake issues. Are your final drives overfull? Your leak is most likely a "servo can" on the pump/motor or a trunnion cap on the bottom of the motor. Two very popular leak points on those transmissions. Since you said it has sat a long time make sure all linkages and cables are free and not binding. Check the pressure gauge if it has one like I mentioned earlier (post 13).

  19. #19B.e.d772020-02-11 07:33

    All the cables and linkage seem to be free I got the line that was leaking off but my book doesn't have a diagram for it

  20. #20B.e.d772020-02-14 22:12

    Thanks for the help mg2361 and welder dave got everything cleaned up and moving freely also changed the blown line and everything seems to be fine for now thanks again