Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

763 Bobcat

Chuck ยท 2011-11-02 07:58

If my 763 sits for a while, say 24 hours or so, then sometimes I have to crank it for quite a while before it will start. I immediately thought that this was probably a small fuel leak, letting air get into the system, so the next time that it had sat I tried priming the fuel with the primer ball pump but it was rock hard. Then, I tried starting it and it just cranked and cranked with no signs of life and no smoke from the exhaust. After cranking for a while, I let the key go back to the "on" position from the "start" position and I got a momentary hit from the engine where it was trying to start, but since I was no longer cranking it, it died. I waited a few seconds to let the starter cool down and then after cranking just a short time it started right up. After you get it started, you can shut it off and it will start instantly until it sits for a while again. I've had the aforementioned scenario happen at least 3-4 times but not every time. I did notice last night that the linkage on the fuel shut off solenoid was not pulling the lever all the way over to the stop in the run position. I adjusted that last night. I've not 100% ruled out the fuel leaking down but I don't have any visible fuel leaks and the filters are all relatively new. I have a hunch that there is something intermittent that sometimes isn't allowing me to get fuel in the start position of the key switch but this only occurs when the machine is cold. Anybody out there have an idea of what I need to look into? Thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1willie592011-11-02 18:36

    Are you using your glow plugs? A Kubota engine that has some hours on it won't hit a lick without glow plugs. As for the fuel solenoid, be careful when adjusting the linkage. The way those things work, the most important thing to watch for is spool in solenoid must hit bottom when it pulls in. If the linkage is adjusted in such a way that it doesn't allow solenoid to fully hit bottom inside, it will smoke the solenoid.

  2. #2Chuck2011-11-02 19:12

    Yeah, glow plugs work. It started great this afternoon. well see how it goes, but that adjustment might have done the trick

  3. #3guswa2011-11-02 19:18

    yer i have a 743 and she wont fire unless she gets a good glowing.