Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

763 Bobcat Fuel Pressure

yosemite917 ยท 2007-09-05 21:57

Have a 763 Bobcat with 2250 hours ran great until today. While transporting a bucket of topsoil down my driveway the motor just slowly stopped. It seemed as if it were out of fuel. The needle was low but not empty. Added some diesel, squeezed the primer bulb and I was back in business for about 200 yards!! Then, exactly the same thing happened. Now I know there is fuel in there but what I did notice is that the primer bulb was not hard as it should be? Again, I squeezed the bulb started the bobcat it worked fine for only a short period of time?? What gives?? Any ideas out there? Could it possibly be the fuel filter?? Please help this Newbie!!:beatsme :beatsme :beatsme Thanks in advance Yosemite917

Replies45
  1. #1Countryboy2007-09-05 22:01

    Welcome to HEF yosemite917! :drinkup

  2. #2yosemite9172007-09-06 07:17

    Hello Out There Any suggestions anybody????? :beatsme :beatsme :beatsme :beatsme :beatsme :usa :usa Yosemite917

  3. #3Lashlander2007-09-06 08:46

    I don't have a bobcat but it sounds like you have a restriction in the fuel line on the suction side of the pump. I say this because you said the bulb was not hard. There could be a screen in the tank that has picked up enough junk out of the tank to restrict it. I think I would start with new filters first though. I guess it depends on how long its been since you changed them. See if you can blow back into the tank. If a screen is restricted that will clean it off. It could also be the primer pump is worn out. I'm not sure I ever saw one go bad with that many hours though. Good luck, sometime these little bugs can be hard to find.

  4. #4Electra_Glide2007-09-06 08:47

    That's the first thing I would check. The next thing would be the pickup in the tank. Joe

  5. #5yosemite9172007-09-07 08:27

    Thanks!!!!!!!everyone!!!fixed!!! Hey guys, Right on the money ......... it was the fuel filter!!! Running like a XXXXX XXXX. Yosemite917:usa :usa :usa :drinkup :drinkup :drinkup

  6. #6gypsycatfish2007-11-06 22:00

    I have a new used bob cat 873 Turbo with the Deutz engine. If it sits for a few days it may not start even after trying several times. Other days it starts at a touch and will continue to start fine if you do not let it sit for several days. The filter is clean. It has 4 separate injector pumps and the fuel valve has a solinoid that pulls the cam over to run the injector pumps. It is almost like it is losing it's prime. I do not think the fuel valve would come and go unless there is a bad electrical connection. I have squeezed the prime bulb, no luck. Maybe something is in the tank and I will check tomorrow but if the machine is not moved I do not see understand what changes from time to time unless it is electrical, but do not understand why the sitting for 3 or 4 days makes it not start. If you start it every day it will not fail.The machine has 1800 hours on it. Anyone else have this problem

  7. #7xkvator2007-11-08 11:14

    DO NOT do that on Bobcat equipment... there is a check valve/screen on the end of the fuel pickup hose...you could just blow it off. the screen is only 1/2" dia. x 1" long...not much surface area... if you don't already have a filter on your tank pump,put one on...and if you use fuel cans, make sure they're clean...

  8. #8Fishfiles2007-11-09 07:09

    pick up tube Bobcat has got away from the screen in the tank on the pickup tube that they use to use , they also changed their pickup tube from a soft clear plastic hose to a hard plastic --------the old style tubing would rot off and fall into the tank , it would leave a piece , say , 1 1/2 inches long , if the tank were full it would run for about 1/2 hour then run out of fuel-----after u[grading to the newer style pickup , I have seen the old tube in the tank continue to rot and break into little pieces that get sucked up into the pickup and clog at the steel 90 degree fitting at the top the tank , usully when this happens the bulb will suck closed when the engine is running

  9. #9bobcatmechanic2008-03-27 00:44

    the 873 duetz check to make sure the head gasket and the timing belt are good easy way to check the head gasket is to look at the back of the engine if its covered in oil good chance it needs a head gasket same goes with if it blue smokes at all timing belt is good to change 3000hrs or 3 years which ever comes first when the break they tend to bend puch rods and get everything outa wack

  10. #10tdburnette2008-09-07 20:49

    good information thank you,

  11. #11Josh2002cc2008-09-16 10:22

    I am sorry but maybe you are mistaken, Bobcat still uses and supplies the screen and soft rubber line for fuel pickup within the tank. Part number on the screen is a 6650239, the fuel pickup tube(soft/clear) is 6569752 which is bulk(cut to length), the clamps you use are 6661213 x2, and the bushing you replace at the top of the tank is 6553411(for $1.00 I see no reason not to change it) Now onto a few of the 800 series(853,863,864,873 and T200), they can use a 6579554 which is still a clear soft rubber pickup tube but is cut to length. You still use the above mentioned screen and clamps.

  12. #12BILL20092009-03-20 12:45

    Getting to fuel intake on 853 Greetings everyone. I have had my 853 quite a few years ...without a problem.....I don't use it that much...I narrowed my problem to the intake tube and screen rotting away and breaking off into my tank .My 853 runs when tank is full. When it reaches 3/4 full it dies out..when I top of the tank it runs well again.Manual says I have to pull engine out to get to the intake hose....Can anyone tell me if there is another way to get to the intake hose for replacement..and should I try to get out the old rotted pieses of hose out of bottom of tank. Any help would be highly appreciated

  13. #13willie592009-03-20 22:22

    I haven't worked on an 853, so I'm not sure. I think this was one of the early machines where Bobcat started putting fuel tank under engine/pump assembly. Although I'm not familiar with the machine, I'd be surprised if you "have to remove engine" to replace the p-u tube. I will say this; I don't remember the machine models, but I have worked on some Bobcat's that the p-u tube was a PITA to replace. One I worked on it was directly beneath the drive pump, took a lot of cussin' and counting to ten to replace it. Raise the cab and have some one at rear of machine pull on fuel hose so you can tell where it goes. You have to find where the fuel p-u fitting is to determine if the job can be done without pulling engine.

  14. #14bobcatmechanic2009-03-21 00:15

    its a mother ****** its directly under the hydorstat right in the middle of the machine good luck is all i have to say prybars and lots of petroleum gelly are your friend on that one pull the old one put the new one on and put the tube in the tank then put the gromet down in there then snake the rest of the fuel line in and use a pry bar to shove the 90 degree fitting back in i know of a few people that can do it in about 10 to 15 min out and back in shortest time i have so far is a half hour longest about 3 u will see what i am talking about when you get in there

  15. #15TALLRICK2009-03-21 01:20

    Anyone who can replace that thing without removing a bunch of parts must be one hell of a mechanic. On mine I removed the plastic fragments and brazed on a nice copper line and screen in place of the plastic factory garbage. With the location of that fuel tank I never want to have to replace that pickup tube again. Even painted the machine before sticking the tank back in. In the past I got stuck fixing an 873 and got so frustrated replacing that pickup tube. Never could get all the old fragments out. Of course the rubber grommet broke when disassembling and that stayed in there too. He never had a problem despite the junk still in the fuel tank.

  16. #16bobcatmechanic2009-03-21 17:46

    they really arent that bad except for a 751 and 853 and a 863 no side access all the others are in the front of the hydrostat or behind and with the side covers are easy to get to if your a big boy it makes it alot harder or short arms or real muscular arms because alot of the places you have to reach into or squeez your arm into takes almost being a contortionist artist or a twig or just doing it a bunch and knowing what to take off and where to reach in at as far as the pieces in the tank we just leave them in there and let er eat haven't had any problems out of pieces of the old tubes in the tank yet probably done 100 or so on all diffrent sizes of machines

  17. #17BILL20092009-03-21 17:57

    Thank you Gentlemen for the prompt replies...You have givem me a little hope..at least I don't have to pull the engine...Thanks again to all.Hope you guys have a good weekend

  18. #18Cannon2009-04-27 04:03

    Would someone post a diagram, or pic with caption would work as well. Am running (stalling) with same issues.

  19. #19bobcatjay5532009-06-18 00:07

    i have a bobcat 553 1998 just bought it ran good for a week then started to stall but if you let it sit for a sec it would pick back up i thought it was running out of gas so i added 5 gal still the same but it still ran and work until you stated to whip it around and it would start again and now going up and down hill it wants to stall like now and does in seconds it seems if i use the bucket to lift the machine level sometime it picks the rev back up can anyone help i am clueless my first machine i would take it to service but its stuck on the hill on a level spot

  20. #20bobcatjay5532009-06-18 00:14

    hi i have a bobcat 553 having problems with it only had it for 2 weeks first week it was ok then started to want to stall when you whiped it around i thought it needed gas so i added 5 gal no good but it stall ran and worked now im working on a hill im stuck now i when down started to stall put the bucket down to lift machine level started to rev back up lowered bucket tryed to back up died starts back up gos back a foot or two stalls out now it runs like crap even on level just wants to stall any help would be great

  21. #21willie592009-06-18 21:03

    First; when it stalls, does it collapse the fuel primer bulb? If it does, you either have a kinked fuel hose or the fuel pickup tube in tank is clogged. If it doesn't collapse the primer bulb when it stalls; fill fuel tank completely, then see if it will run. If it does, the pickup tube is broken off inside tank. Hope that helps ya.

  22. #22bobcatjay5532009-06-19 20:41

    the primer bulb is collapsed i noticed today if i stut the machine off a while and start it it runs for ten min great then collapse again

  23. #23willie592009-06-19 21:25

    If the primer bulb is collapsed, you either have a kink in the fuel hose or blockage of the strainer screen at the end of the fuel pick up tube inside the tank, common Bobcat problem.

  24. #24tmcpeek2009-06-22 01:17

    I am having the same problem on my friends 753. I was driving it in reverse and it dies out on me like it was out of gas. Added some diesel, opened bleeder valve on top of fuel/water separator and squeezed bulb until stead stream came out. Opened knob on injector pump and then loosened all injector nuts and had wife crank engine over until fuel came out of all 4 injectors. Tightened back up and it ran great for about 5 to 7 minutes and then stalled out again. Check fuel bulb and it seemed empty. Lifted cab and found the 2 grommets with the fuel line. Cleaned off tank with engine cleaner and pulled off front most grommet, it only had a small piece attached to it about 1 to 1.5 inches. Diesel level in tank was about 1/2" to 1" below the hole where I removed the grommet so looks to be basically full. Did not pull the rear most grommet yet. Is the pickup tube in the rear most grommet under the hydro stat valve? Is the front just a return? If the pickup tube flexible so it will come out from under the hydrostat? Please help, I need to return this to my friend but would like it to be running.

  25. #25Cannon2009-06-22 16:03

    I had to unbolt & tilt the cab; trace the engine supply fuel line; remove that line (closest to the front of the machine); and: 1) Replace the engine supply fuel line (bulb to tank); blow out the 90 degree elbow it attaches to; reattach the supply fuel line; and install a new fuel line and filter inside the tank. Approx 1hr: Fuel line think ran for 1.40/ft, non-rotting fuel line inside tank is a necessity-so ask for that- .80; fuel filter 3-4.00; AND 02 clamps for the main fuel line to the bulb; AND 02 "different-type clamps (ID when you inspect the elbow). So all for under 20 bones.

  26. #26Cannon2009-06-22 16:06

    And wouldn't hurt to inspect the bulb for age/pinhole leaks. Tracking with your concern about returning in good shape.

  27. #27tmcpeek2009-06-22 17:20

    Thanks, got the cab tilted back and found the 2 90's on top of the tank. As soon as I have a second pair of hands I will have them pull on the line to verify which one it is. I took the front out and the tube is only 1" or so. Hopefully that is the correct one. If so off to Bobcat to get the stuff. Thanks for the reply.

  28. #28tmcpeek2009-06-22 17:45

    Verified that it was the front one and that the fuel pickup tube broken even with the bottom of the 90. Off to get parts. Once I get them I will take some photos of what I have done to hopefully help others. Thanks for the help.

  29. #29Cal Blacksmith2009-08-19 09:11

    I remember reading this thread a while ago and filed it under "remember for future use" in my memory and I am glad I did! About a week ago, I parked my BC 763 and all was well with the world then last Saturday I needed to move something with the forks so no big deal, jump in and crank her up, well only for a few seconds, it was stumbling and surging then it died. I checked the bulb and it was full but when I squeezed it it did not come back up. Ok let it wait until I can get to it. Yesterday (Tuesday) after looking this thread up and re-reading it, I popped the cab up and found the fuel tank with the fittings on it in only a few minutes. I had to lay down over the control linkages etc to get to it but in under 10 minutes from opening the cab up, I had the fuel line out of the tank and found a kink in it, yep that would keep the fuel from flowing for sure:tong then as I was gently handling it, the strainer fell off and dropped down into the tank and the rest of the tube broke into 3 pieces, two in my hand and about 2 inches left on the steel fitting. So tonight I will be off to the dealer to pick up some rot resistant fuel line and a new strainer. Thanks to this board, a lot of time was saved in getting to the bottom of the situation! Thanks guys!:thumbsup

  30. #30Cal Blacksmith2009-08-20 08:55

    Well, she is up and running again. Under 10 bucks for the parts at the dealer, less if I had just used regular fuel line. I put the new filter on the new tank line, I re-used the grommet as it was still good, I slid it down on the fuel line (facing the right direction!) and put the new fuel line on the 90 deg fitting. I put a little mineral oil on the grommet and pressed it into the tank while the grommet was still only on the fuel line to allow max movement of the grommet on insertion into the tank. Once the grommet was in the tank, I pushed the rest of the tube and the 90 deg fitting into the grommet and the job was done. It took longer to bleed the air out of the fuel lines (I had to look up how in the manual) than the whole repair job took. It ran a little rough for a minute or so but after the remaining air was purged through the system, it just purrs like the cat that it is

  31. #31santo2009-08-26 14:51

    763 oil cooler i have a 1997 763 and have a leaky oil cooler--tried to fix won't fix-like to buy a used one or a new one-not from a dealer--any help would b appreciated thanks dave

  32. #32santo2009-08-31 10:16

    763 oil cooler i need to find a used or aftermarket oil cooler for a 1997 763 can anyone help as my old one leaks oil around the bottom seal --i tried to use bondo but it still leaks thanks dave

  33. #33equipmentguy2009-08-31 16:20

    fuel check fuel filter and or gas tank for trash. also fuel and water filter

  34. #34weswhite012009-11-08 19:35

    I found this thread after the local dealer told me they would have to pull the engine to solve my fuel tank issue. I bought a new pick-up and hose for $18 and fixed the problem in about 1/2 hour. Thanks for excellent advice. Now if can just figure out how to sop the engine from running when I turn off the ignition.

  35. #35pb7772010-01-11 13:11

    I have a 751 bobcat skid. ON A FULL TANK the machine will run great for roughly 2 hours then shuts off like it is out of fuel. When I purchased the machine the gauge read just under a half tank i filled it to the top on the way home right on the trailer. ever since then the tank will only accept around 2 gals of fuel and runs for roughly 2 hrs I have taken the feed line off of the hand primer. while that is off, the fuel gauge is reading just under a full tank. I add fuel to the tank, it then begins to flow threw the feed line as it should. this is my first skid steer and am lookin for someone fimiliar with this machine

  36. #36bill onthehill2010-01-11 17:50

    Sounds like your pickup hose broke off. Read this thread again. It is a pain in the butt but not impossible to replace in the machine. Patience and long arms help.

  37. #37pb7772010-01-15 17:53

    i havent had the time yet but i am going to pull my sleeves up and get into it this weekend thanks man

  38. #38wingfooted2010-09-21 02:49

    Nice thread. I've got a 2004 Bobcat 334 excavator with same diesel supply and collapsed priming bulb problem. Took off a few plates yesterday and got to the fuel tank. Found the T fitting and grommet at the top of the fuel tank. Disconnected the fuel line. Tried to pry up on the grommet with a regular screwdriver blade --- sure doesn't want to pop out of the plastic fuel tank. Afraid to get rough with it and tear up the fuel tank. Any hints ? How to get the T fitting and grommet out of the plastic fuel tank so I can check the pickup hose and screen ?

  39. #39Cannon2010-09-21 06:10

    Designed to be tight is a gimme. I successfully re-used the grommet afterwards on my 753. I'd was hesitant to use additional force but figured it was lesser of two evils... I also accepted/expected some of the fuel line/screen/debris to remain in the tank. I'd committed though to trashing the grommet if had to, and at all costs leave the tank intact. But as a diy fix, and out of time & necessity, I had to have the fuel supply fix completed and back at work. -I planned to use a razor blade and slice bits of the grommet off to remove, clean up hole, check condition of the corroded line, replace the line/filter, and either reseal with apoxy or purchase another grommet, but didn't have to and was able to re-use the grommet (I know there's some debris left inside though & 200 hrs later - no problems). -Just brainstorming, how about something with a broader edge than just a screw driver, e.g.: something that catches three sides of the grommet like the $2 door panel pull tool on the rim with a smaller phillips inside the grommet (assuming can remove the "T"? -'Slippery up the area with cooking oil (not brake fluid=degrades rubber)? Even then, I'd plan for 'muphy's law of slicing by accident and still ending up with a trashed grommet.

  40. #40andrew882010-09-21 20:58

    Ya a little lube helps get them out.

  41. #41brt2010-09-21 21:05

    I remember from another forum about someone with the same problem. It turned out that the vent(s) on the fuel cap had closed up with age/dirt/???. He drilled a few 1/8" holes in the cap until he gets a new one. It got his BC running again

  42. #42wingfooted2010-09-22 01:11

    Great advice sprayed some WD-40 around and under the grommet. Pulled on the T valve with a pair of vice grips - it came loose worked off the grommet with a chisel - it came loose pulled out the fuel line pickup assembly - yep a lot of trash on the screen. tomorrow i will try and siphon out some of the trash and clean up the fuel filter screen.

  43. #43Cannon2010-09-25 08:16

    Aww, cmon just leave the trash in the tank. Avoid too much pressure attempting to clean out with compressed air though. I once saw one of my juniors cleaning out a tank with the air compressor pressure 'maxed out. Fortunate for him, there was only a very small amount of vapor left in the tank from the afternoon before. The tank exploded, not a ball of flame or anything close, but it wasn't a seam failure or hole in the tank. We figured it was that the air compressed the fumes remaining and caused the explosion. Ended up with changing routine that we still use air, but no more than 35 psi and always provide a route for the air/junk to escape. Can anyone confirm or deny? Good to hear about the vice grips. Might want to look at the lines, bulb and separator/filter while your at it. Regardless, have fun starting in what... 10 degree weather and less in Oregon this winter.

  44. #44aja4582010-09-28 16:34

    2000 773 my 773 developed fuel problems. the machine would die and suck air thru the fuel system. yesterday I found this thread and pulled my pick up tube. It was intact. upon closer inspection, I found a large crack in the tube. removed the bad area and I`m back. thanks for this forum and the people who post here.

  45. #45city1502010-10-20 09:40

    I am working on a 853 with the same problem I got the old one out and it was a mother #$#%*@ I had to remove a few hydraulic lines to get a little better access to it. I want to know if the soft clear line is still available Part # 6579554