Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

763 bobcat Gauges spike when I turn the lights on

xgiovannix12 ยท 2018-01-10 18:49

Pretty much says it all in the title.. IM currently fighting with an electrical problem. Seems when i turn the lights on the fuel gauge and temp gauge run higher then they do with the lights off.. Seems like a ground problem but I cleaned all the smaller grounds by the starter and the 2 main grounds as well. I also cleaned the battery connections and checked all the connections under the cab. also found a ground by the hydraulic tank and cleaned that as well. Did i miss something ? I pulled both dash panels and cleaned the ignition switch and gauge terminals. Im at a loss. Maybe someone can give me some ideas

Replies14
  1. #1crewchief8882018-01-11 07:41

    maybe check the cab to mainframe harness connector...

  2. #2xgiovannix122018-01-11 17:26

    thats clean I greased that up while I was in there. Im at a loss lol

  3. #3crewchief8882018-01-11 19:30

    what i meant was check around that connector for a bad ground. sorry i wasnt more specific ohm testing the grounds will probably not show you a bad wire... you need to visually inspect the wiring

  4. #4xgiovannix122018-01-11 19:34

    good idea I need to try that.

  5. #5xgiovannix122018-02-20 12:57

    0 ohms at that connector . Lights have a good ground 0 ohms NOW I had a ground reading thru the power wire as well.... Not sure if thats normal Pulled all the gauge lights still doing it cleaned all the connections at the gauges. I cant read the diagrams from my manual cd . im chasing a ghost. I found the previous owner put 50w bulbs in can it be to much draw?

  6. #6mikebramel2018-02-20 15:52

    Ohms are worthless for testing because the wire isn't loaded. Run all your accesories or whateverneeds to be done for the problem to happen and measure the difference between the ground at your gauges and your battery. Likewise the hot wire to the gauges and the battery.

  7. #7xgiovannix122018-02-20 18:44

    figured Id take a video of the issue. the machine tells me lies when the lights are on

  8. #8crane operator2018-02-21 08:33

    I guess I don't think that's a unusual amount of gauge movement for lights on/off. I've got one vehicle I can tell if the flashers are working by the voltmeter swinging like a metronome..........

  9. #9xgiovannix122018-02-21 18:03

    I could understand the voltmeter but not the fuel and temp lol

  10. #10DIYDAVE2018-02-21 20:29

    Cleaned your battery connections, lately?

  11. #11xgiovannix122018-02-21 20:40

    yep cleaned battery starter connections

  12. #12crewchief8882018-02-22 10:20

    Alternator belt tension?

  13. #13xgiovannix122018-02-22 20:02

    I will need to check that. IS the alternator off the fan belt as well? cant remember

  14. #14crewchief8882018-02-23 05:40

    10-4