Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

763 traction drive starting problem

gmantwo ยท 2015-04-20 00:03

Hi, borrowed a 763 in exchange for fixing it up a bit. Runs like a top when you get it started, but..... Sometimes, most actually, when you hit the key, the drive tries to kick in and the starter doesn't have enough umph to crank it then. I can cycle the key on & off until eventually it will start without the drive trying to kick in. No idea what to even explore. Once it starts the machine works pretty well. The other problem I will explore after I get the starting trouble straightened out. Raising the lap bar, putting the parking brake "on" makes no difference. I am a Captain on a 5000 horsepower towboat and am away at work another 19 days, so any suggestion will have to be put into place later, but I'll be making plans. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1crewchief8882015-04-22 19:06

    raise the cab and check the centering plate on top of the pumps. if the centering spring is still holding it in place, look around the levers for worn parts :drinkup

  2. #2gmantwo2015-04-22 19:31

    Ok, thanks

  3. #3willie592015-04-22 21:12

    Welcome to HEF gmantwo. :drinkup I agree with crewchief, some kind of problem with the centering plate or pintle arms. Here's a little info for you to look over to familiarize yourself with what to look for. >

  4. #4gmantwo2015-04-23 07:42

    THANKS! Might have not found that on my own. Saved and appreciated

  5. #5vintagecarlover2024-11-20 11:05

    I can't get this link to work. Ideas why not?

  6. #6crewchief8882024-11-20 19:18

    says the site is being updated , it may be just an old link paging willie59