Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

77 CAT D6D 4X SERIES WITH POWER SHIFT

leonardgonz1 ยท 2023-10-02 20:07

Hi Guys, Thanks in advance for any and all replies/help. I recently purchased my first Dozer, wiith alot of help/advise from many forums. Dozer is in fair to very good shape. I am the third owner, it has been well serviced. Final drives have no shavings nor water just dark oil in them. The seller let me run it on his property for 3 hours and it functions as it should, no issues. After first 2 hours I pushed dirt hard and the tracks never stopped or slipped.I removed floor pan to access the original battery cable that was replaced but left in place and causing a slight bind on power shift lever. a few zip ties and rerouting and lever moves freely. Now to my concern, while the pan was out I checked the u joints and they are fine but the collar/yoke to the trans is loose - has play about 1/4 inch of travel. Is this normal ? is it just a matter of removing u joints and tightening up a pinnion nut ? I dont plan to work the machine in buissines or contract work, we bought it to clean up our ranch, occasional use. Thanks to all who reply.

Replies2
  1. #1Nige2023-10-03 05:19

    Not exactly relevant to your issue but the first recommendation for a machine from that era would be to get hold of a good set of manuals; Parts, Operation/Maintenance, & Service, especially if you propose to maintain/repair the tractor yourself. Here are the Cat Publication references so that you can search for them. O&M - SEBU5941 Parts - SEBP1133 (for machines up to S/N 6607) SEBP1294 (machines S/N 6608-Up) Service - SENR7432

  2. #2leonardgonz12023-10-03 12:11

    Thank you Nige, found them and I have ordered them and by all descriptions they seem like the coorect manuals. I also found a pic of the u joint assy. and it looks like a splined yoke. I will be tighting it up!