I am looking for engine capacities specs for my truck.I thought I might find the information before our Cummins dealer opens on Monday.Truck has an NTC 400 Big Cam engine.I brought the truck home Thurs.I came across the truck by accident. The gentleman that I bought it from was the originnal owner and on an average year he would put about 6000 kms. on the truck and end of Sept. he put it in his garage till spring.It's never seen a snowflake.Truck has just turned 102000 kms and is tight as a drum.The owner retired a year or so back and gave us all slips for any work done to the truck.Well if anyone has the specs or know where I can find them i'll thank you in advance
Blaster, The oil capacity should be 11 gals. That may/could vary depending on any particular applicationor if it has a "luber finer" oil filter, etc
Cummins Not much help with specs, but I have owned 6 trucks with these engines. I dont remember having to do any major thing to them. I kept them about 18 months each. They were in dump trucks and carried the load real well, but we are not in the hills. Easy to work on, easy to get parts and alot cheaper Keep all the filters changed, it last you a long time.
'77 Freightliner! Was this when Freightliner was still made by the White Motor Company? Just curious.
It sure was a classy looking truck! I've always had a soft spot for those old cabovers.
According to a timeline I found in Wheels of Time magazine from Antique Truck Historical Society, Freightliner ended their sales agreement with White Motor Company in 1977, but I have found a few pics of trucks listed as '78's that still had the "White" name over the Freightliner on the grill. They may have been leftovers that they were using up. I have a 1979 Cabover with just Freightliner on the grill. Also, White never built trucks for Freightliner, they only sold them thru their dealerships, as Freightliner never had any dealers of their own before 1978. Would be interested in seeing pics of your 77 when you get a chance. George
Your right, George. I guess I asked the question wrong. I should have asked if the '77 was still "sold" under the White Motor Co name. Thanks for pointing out the error. I don't know if it's true, but I was told years ago that the Freightliner was originally made for Consolidated Freightways out of California. Does anyone know if that's true? I, myself, have no clue.
Well you are almost right. Freightliners were built by Consolidated Freightways, seems they couldn't find any trucks to meet their needs or any manufacturer that would build what they want. Here is the rest of the timeline that was listed in the 2005 issue of wheels of time. 1940 First two prototype aluminum COE's built 1944 Consolidated Freightways ceases truck production. Freightliner Corp. organized 1951 In order to concentrate on manufacturing, Freightliner signs agreement with White to market, sell and service it's trucks. 1977 Freightliner terminates sales agreement with White. Somewhere around here I have a Wheels of Time with I believe the 50th anniversary story of Freightliner, or maybe the 60th. I know it had a very interesting story written by one of the original people who put together the Freightliner Corp. have to go dig thru all my crap and dig it out for a re-read. George
That's what it was! The Freightliner was "built" by Consolidated Freight. That was many years ago I was told this...kinda forgot the little details.
I thank you all for the replies and help.By Wed I hope to have her back to work.From one province to another the safety inspection requirement vary and by Tues night hopefully she'll be completed.I will get some pictures soon as well.The gentleman I bought her from called to make sure she was fine.He was the only owner and bought her new.Inside for each winter and averaged about 6000 kms per work season. She turned over to 102000 kms on the way to the shop.I need to smile as all my money invested in my daughter's ballet,jazz and all other activities considered artsy and now this classic truck is hers to run.She goes steady hauling sawdust to topsoil.I think I might in a small way even think she can drive better than I can.I know the leather interier is awfull spotless today.Pics to follow and thank you all again
WOW, 102000 kms, equates to 65,000 miles, and I thought mine was low mileage at around 100,000 miles, that would be around 150,000 kms. Not sure on mine, because I am sure the speedometer was changed, the one in it right now only shows 45,000 miles. I also know the front tires on it probably were original from the factory. Does your interior have the diamond pleat interior?? Also forgot to mention, to find out what the oil capacity is on a cummins engine, you have to get the part number off the oil pan, look it up in a book, and it tells you what the high and low capacity of that engine is. Most are around 9 gals maybe another for the oil filter. That would be what in liters, 45??? George
It is a diamond pleat, the truck was in PEI where sand is the norm for winter and not salt like here in NS.the biggest job we'll finish today is replacing the rubbers in shocks as well as torque bars.All tires as well small cracks in grouves between treads on them.It took just a bit more than 45 ltrs.
Sounds like a good truck Blaster.Freightliner built some nice trucks,one thing I always liked about the cabover Freightliners is the cab was a 90 degree tilt .That made it easy to install a clutch,rebuild the tranny,or overhaul the engine.They were nice looking well built trucks.