Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

773 air conditioning

andyjax ยท 2017-06-28 08:28

Now that I'm getting a brush cutter and I ordered a new front glass piece, ( $76.00 on amazon with free shipping ), thought I'd work on the air-conditionng. I put my auto parts store gauge on the low pressure side of the system and it's cycling between 40-50 psi which is where it's supposed to be at 85 degrees ambient. Trouble is, the compressor clutch engages for only 5 seconds then cuts off for 5 seconds, then back on. Sort of cool air but not cold. Any suggestions? The system seems to be holding pressure pretty good. I ran it for 30 minutes at idle and no pressure drops. Thanks.

Replies5
  1. #192U 34062017-06-28 09:28

    What's the high side like for pressure?

  2. #2andyjax2017-06-28 12:22

    Don't know. I only have the hookup to the low pressure. Guess I should seek professional help or do you think it might be something else?

  3. #3Birken Vogt2017-06-28 13:19

    It sounds low on refrigerant but I would not add any blind. I would not proceed unless I had gauges on both sides and temperature measurement in various places, etc.

  4. #4PJ The Kid2017-06-28 13:53

    Sounds like it is short cycling due to low charge. As said above, I would start with a little better gauge set and see what the high side looks like and go from there.

  5. #5andyjax2017-06-29 06:48

    Thanks to all. I'll drag it up to the local mech and get him to take a look.