Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

773 wheel bearing

nick1442 ยท 2013-09-27 19:38

I've got a 773 bobcat and the wheel has got a lot of play in it, moving side to side. I know the seal is bad I can see it behind the hub. But I think there is a bad bearing, so my question is if I remove the hub is there bearing to be replaced or do I have to me the shaft? Would it be inside the hub itself? And if it is, is there way service the other bearing withoit removing the hub? So many questions! ointhead

Replies9
  1. #1willie592013-09-27 21:00

    Welcome to HEF nick1442. :drinkup You have to pull the shafts to replace bearings, and the hub has to be removed from the shaft in order to fit a new seal. If you need to do this project, the first thing you need to do it pop the wheel hubs loose from the tapered shaft. Loosen the bolt for the retainer plate that secures hub to tapered shaft. Don't remove the bolt, simply back it out maybe 1/8" from hub. You can typically take two bottle jacks, fit one on each side between machine frame and back side of hub and jack some pressure on the hub. Then take a sledge and give a helluva whack to the head of the retainer plate bolt to pop hub loose from shaft. Once loose, leave it on the shaft for now. Now you need to remove the front and rear chain case covers in the center of the machine. Loosen and remove the bolts that retain sprockets on each shaft (on the rear sprockets the bolt won't fully come out until you pull one of the shafts a bit). Once you've done this, continue working the jacks at the hub to pull shafts from inner bearing and sprocket, do the same process to each axle. Once you get them all pulled, you can replace all the bearings and cups, then fit it all back together. Once installed, you install the new seals, then re-install the wheel hubs. Here's a thread with some info that might help. > HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2nick14422013-09-27 21:17

    Thanks for the reply ATCO. By removeing the retainig bolts will I have to remove the chains. And will the sproket come out with the shaft or will just rest with the chains?

  3. #3willie592013-09-27 21:59

    When you pull the each shaft its corresponding sprocket will remain inside the chain case. You don't have to remove chains entirely, simply take chain off or large drive sprocket and remove sprocket so you can access the bearing cup for cup replacement. Once you've service your bearing cups, fitted a new bearing on outer part of shaft, slip the shaft back in the housing and slip new bearing on inside of shaft. Once you get these fitted, slip sprocket (with chain) back on shaft splines, install the sprocket retainer bolt and start tightening bolt, this will press the sprocket and bearing on the shaft.

  4. #4nick14422013-09-27 22:55

    Thanks a lot ATCO, that's some big help. Two more things man, behind the seal on the hub iam getting some small chunks of metal, do you think its the shaft. And are there any problems I might run into that I should be careful of? Iam hoing to attach a photo of were iam getting the chunks of metal.

  5. #5willie592013-09-27 22:58

    That would be pure speculation for me to even take a guess nick, getting things taken apart will likely reveal more clues than I could offer.

  6. #6nick14422013-09-27 23:05

    You are correct sir I thought it was worth a try, I really appreciate everything you have provided it was I've gotten from the internet or anywhere else for that matter. I will tackle the job tomorrow ill let you know how it goes. Thanks, nick.

  7. #7kshansen2013-09-28 09:34

    Willie59, I was just reading this out of curiosity and checked out your link to the 773 thread and saw the "Suck bucket" love the name and I'm going to file that in my memory bank for future use. One place I can see that being used is on our 743 Bobcat. Why no one thought of putting a drain plug in the hyd. tank amazes me. I think we have a couple 15-20 gallon plastic drums around the shop that would make for super sized "Suck Buckets"! I have a homemade tool that uses air pressure to pull a vacuum, just a piece of steel with a couple hole drilled the right size and place, I need to measure it up and make a drawing sometime. comes in handy when removing hyd. hoses with out draining oil tank. You probably have one too!

  8. #8nick14422013-09-28 12:32

    Ok iam here with this bobcat and just as I expected this hub is giving me trouble I have the two jacks set uo behind the hub and I've been beating on the center bolt for about an hour and nothing. Any suggestions??

  9. #9willie592013-09-28 17:17

    That hub is fitted to a tapered shaft, sometimes it takes a good bit of jacking pressure to get it to pop loose, typical of pretty much anything fitted to a tapered shaft. And when it does pop loose, it will with a bang. You could always apply a little heat to the circumference of the hub where it's fitted to the shaft, don't need to heat it red hot. And just to confirm, you do have the bolt backed out just a bit, no? I hope this helps.