Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

773G air issues ??

2frankh · 2020-09-28 08:53

Good morning all. I have a 773G and I ran into an issue over the weekend. I was cleaning up some brush when I heard a pop and what sounded like a punctured tire. I turned the machine off and checked all the tires, no flats. I started the machine and I hear the "air leak" again. It seems to be some where under the cab. I couldn't locate the problem. Any suggestions as to what I should look at ? Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies5
  1. #1kshansen2020-09-28 09:25

    Not familiar with the 773G, is it a turbo engine? Couldld it be a "air leak" between the turbo and the intake, maybe a manifold gasket? Just wild guessing, hard to know how it sounds from here! I'm assuming there are no fluid leaks, sometime a leaking oil line can makke a sound close to an air leak sound, but that should be easy to see. Caution if there is a fluid leak do not get body parts near it or you could get oil injected into skin and that is very serious! Any chance of doing a short video so we could hear this "air leak" with it running?

  2. #2Txhayseed2020-09-28 20:33

    Start it up and flip the cab. Sounds like your going to have to get in there and start exploring. Is it pulsing like an exhaust leak or a solid air leaking sound ?

  3. #3willie592020-09-28 21:18

    773G is a turbocharger engine. I can't think of anything under the cab that would make a rushing air sound, but a rubber elbow popped loose from turbo would for sure and you would notice a loss of power under load

  4. #42frankh2020-09-28 21:48

    It is a constant air leak sound. I work out of town and will not be home for 3 weeks now. I’ll have to check the elbow to the turbo. Thanks for all the help.

  5. #5Txhayseed2020-09-28 23:48

    If it’s constant I’d definitely check the turbo piping first.