Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

773g fuel solenoid problems

CMI0329 ยท 2016-04-23 13:25

I have replaced fuel solenoid and still can't start it up. When cranking the pull works, but the hold doesn't keep it in. I tested the hold wire and it read only 5.6v, which should be 12. I checked the fuses and relays. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on with this thing?

Replies5
  1. #1kshansen2016-04-23 19:14

    Okay? Just to help can you let us know what this 773G is? To me a 773G is a 50 ton off-highway Cat haul truck. As this is posted in the "SkidSteer" section I will go out on a limb and guess this is a BobCat skidsteer? Make, model and S/N would be a good start, even better would be to include a picture of the fuel solenoid you replaced as it is mounted on the machine. Then what happened to make you try replacing the solenoid. All that said if you are only getting 5.6v to a 12 volt solenoid for lack of a better idea I'd be trying to run a temporary wire from the battery to the solenoid to see if it will run. If that works you need to work backwards through the system to find where the drop in voltage is starting. You mention a relay, did you check the voltage going into and out of the relay? Same with the fuse, check voltage on both sides of the fuse sometimes corrosion will let some volts through but not enough to power the load needed.

  2. #2crewchief8882016-04-23 19:24

    the fuel shutoff solenoid is 2 coils. the "pull" is powered by the fuse and relay, the "hold" is controlled by the controller. if the linkage is not adjusted correctly, typically the "hold" doesnt work. is the machine throwing any fault codes? :drinkup

  3. #3thepumpguysc2016-04-23 19:29

    Theres 1 thing YOU HAVE TO DO.. 1 thing.. You have to do this prior to burning the solenoid up.. You have to adjust the rod on the solenoid for you shut off arm THROW.. There are different lengths of sh-off arms and "a lot" of solenoids are generic.. IF you got instructions with the new sol.. it should have stated that 1st step.. Mount the solenoid.. Engage the key switch.. help the solenoid to the RUN position.. {push it in, till it holds ** Adjust the solenoid arm/ rod.. until it can be slipped over the shut-off shaft.. The solenoid HAS TO BE BOTTOMED in its bore to hold.. otherwise it wont.. and you'll burn the solenoid up.. IF that doesn't work.. {I'll bet it does** try googling 773g shut off solenoid... theres a lot of discussions about it.. Good luck and keep us posted.. TPG

  4. #4CMI03292016-04-23 20:08

    Hey, thanks. I was grading with it and bumped into a rock, the machine cut off and popped up code 13-07. I had to tie the fuel shutoff lever to on and take a screwdriver to the starter to get it to finish the job. I assumed the new solenoid would work, but it didn't. The code went away which allowed power to the starter. I watched the solenoid when attempting to crank, and it pulled in for split second but didn't hold. That's when I tested it at the voltage mentioned. The machine is a 2003 773g bobcat. I'll get some pics tomorrow and serial

  5. #5kshansen2016-04-24 12:42

    Not that there is any doubt, but I think thepumpguy is right on the money with the idea that the solenoid linkage needing adjustment.