Good morning! When I was using my Bobcat 7753 this weekend I noticed that there was a squealing sound coming from the lower left side of the skid loader. The squealing sound only happens when it's under load or make quick turns. Again, I believe it's the drive belt. I haven't torn into it yet. Does this sound like a drive belt adjustment issue?I have a manual that shows a spring scale is needed to make the adjustment. Is there a workaround since I don't have a scale? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!
You are on the right path. Open the back door, remove the belt cover on the left side of the engine. There's a few clips holding the guard in place. You will see the belt tensioner pushing down on the drive belt. Inspect the belt to see if it is damaged. Should be one multi ribbed belt, sometimes they wear thru and it may look like separate belts. If it's in good shape you can loosen the bolt holding the tensioner to the engine. It's a 9/16 or 14mm socket. With the bolt loose, have a helper push the tensioner down farther with a pry bay. You may be able to see the tension indicator from the manual. Many times the indicator is gone. Just get the belt as tight as possible. Tighten the bolt and replace the belt guard.
if the tensioner is the original one, it wont have the spring loaded idler. the old style tensioner has a long threaded rod and a couple of nuts to adjust the tension.... many times, trying to retension an old, dry rotted belt leads to a quick failure. inspect the belt, if it's cracked and dry rotted, i'd replace both the belt and tensioner... the new tensioner is spring loaded. :drinkup
Thanks for the advice fellas. Any idea what the part number is on the new tensioner?
Looks like 6735884. That's the one with the single bolt. Not sure if that's what's on the 7753 as crew chief pointed out. Best thing to do is call the local Bobcat dealer with your serial number. They can get the correct parts. Belt tensioner is $450-525 and belt should be around $60. Your tensioner should be ok if you can get it adjusted.
Ya know, I don't even know what that looks like on these machines, but five bills for a belt tensioner is robbery, Unless she's smokin' hot and untensioned my belt to start with.....
I took a look at the belt and it was relatively loose. No signs of being rotten or needing to be replaced.
That would make it both squeal and lose functions. As long as the tensioner is still in good shape tighten it up and get a few more miles out of it.