Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

’78 International 2574 HEADLIGHTS ISSUE

charles walton ยท 2022-10-18 16:33

Can anyone tell me where the headlight fuse and or circuit breakers of any kind on this recently purchased truck?

Replies11
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-10-18 19:53

    IIRC under dash left side, but I haven't worked on one of those in years.

  2. #2charles walton2022-10-18 20:39

    If I don't find a blown fuse do you think it could be a bad switch?

  3. #3Truck Shop2022-10-18 21:27

    The first place I would check is the hood harness terminal block connection through the firewall, it should have a screw in center holding it in-place. I had eleven of those IH's to take care of some years back, most of them had headlight issues. I found bad connection through bulkhead was a normal problem, mainly from windshield leaking/moisture at bulkhead connection. IIRC two arced and chard the terminals.

  4. #4charles walton2022-10-19 17:26

    What was the remedy?

  5. #5Truck Shop2022-10-19 17:42

    Cleaned main bulkhead connection plus used dielectric grease on terminals.

  6. #6charles walton2022-10-19 19:04

    Reason I thought about the switch is that it has no tail lights either but it has blinkers.

  7. #7charles walton2022-10-20 18:49

    I did that to no avail today, trying to figure out the fuse box there's several square breaker looking things besides the few glass fuses and I have no idea what goes where. I'm very inept at electrical stuff I might have to pay someone to fix this.

  8. #8Truck Shop2022-10-20 19:39

    The other thing to check that was also a major issue, the fuse block itself would corrode on the back side.

  9. #9Truck Shop2022-10-20 21:10

    Another thing-test both sides of the terminals holding the glass buss fuses, those prongs holding the glass fuses will corrode. It might show power through the fuse from one side to other but the actual tension clip is corroded between fuse and clip rendering a dead circuit. Seen that too many times. International use to sell the replacement tension clips. But it's easier to just splice in a inline fuse and mark it. You asked about the headlight switch-those original equipment were not the best. You should go through and clean all ground connections on a rig that old too.

  10. #10charles walton2023-05-24 19:18

    how do you get to the fuse box to work on it? Pull the dash off?

  11. #11Tyler d4c2023-05-24 21:18

    Did they ever make a international with out electrical problems?