Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

8.3 in a 335 Peterbilt , no start

Logger72 ยท 2022-08-05 06:03

I have a 2005 Peterbilt 335 with a Cummins 8.3, when I turn the key,, nothing,,does not turn over,,just some clicking. I boosted the batteries thinking they might need help, made no difference. It first did it after a hundred mile run and after it cooled down it started just fine. Yesterday I started it and moved to the fuel pump and shut it off and then no start. When it does start the starter sounds fine and it fires right up. I guessing it is a bad connection or possibly an electric relay. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-08-05 07:36

    Check the firewall on the left side, should be a square starter relay. The older Pete models used a three post solenoid.

  2. #2Logger722022-08-05 14:44

    I tried bypassing the starter solenoids, it has two, and I got no response from the starter, is that a pretty good indication that my problem is with the starter?

  3. #3Truck Shop2022-08-05 15:22

    If it has a solid 12.5 volts and good grounds, yes.

  4. #4Logger722022-08-08 20:13

    I had a fella that has more knowledge than me (which don,t take much!) look it over and the verdict is the starter is bad. I am picking up one in the morning and he says he can install it tomorrow nite. Fingers crossed!

  5. #5heymccall2022-08-08 20:39

    Automatic or manual transmission? On my manual transmission, I got the $18 option for neutral start, meaning as long as shifter handle isn't forward or backward, it'll crank. Without the $18 option, the clutch pedal must be depressed to crank. If an auto, the TCM must see neutral.

  6. #6Birken Vogt2022-08-08 21:06

    Funny, not that many years ago when I used to use the KW versions of these, they had no neutral or clutch safety at all. I commonly started them from the ground and if it was left in gear it would turn one or 2 compression strokes and then the driveshaft would be all wound up and stop. I never park air brake trucks in gear so it wasn't on my list to check.