Seller says it's a Cummins 350, it's in a 1975 IH
Its not aftercooled so I'm guessing like 240hp or so. It sure won't be 350. Truck Shop is the man on things like this.
@Truck Shop that one? He has chipped in a lot of good info for me in past threads...
Turbo no aftercooler at most a small cam 335.
Big Cams started in 1976. That is more than likely a 250 or 270 small cam. If it had a aftercooler it would be a 290 or 350. All a 350 is-is a 335 aftercooled basically with a blunt nose crank. I see that one has a Bendix Two Flo compressor.
I was trying to see the cam follower boxes but with all the dirt and fuzzy picture I could not tell. But thinking it might be a small cam.
It looks like it will have one of these in the dash.
Not seeing that but it does have some mighty fine wiring.
There are two identical openings in the top of the intake manifold. The turbo crossover is on the front one the rear one has the glow plug and the Delavan nozzle for the cold start. The pump in the picture above pumped diesel fuel through the nozzle onto the glow plug heating up the intake for starting when cold out.
I got a pic of the dashboard from the seller. That's all he sent ... The truck is a 6 hour drive from me. I'm inspecting it remotely. Not much to go on.
Most guys seem to agree that it's not a Big Cam.
Yes I see that But I some how doubt that is the original engine. Too many things don't add up for me.
It has 2 water pump belts the NTC335 had a single belt with the eccentric adjustable pump and it has a FFC oil cooler same as a NTC350. I can see the bottom of the compression release lever so its not a big cam. The inside of the cab is dirtier than under the hood.
Guess my question would be why is there interest in buying this truck? Just from the pictures I'm thinking it would have to be almost free considering the six hour trip one way to get it. Sure looks like it will be a money pit if it is actually going to be used for anything but parts. Sorry if that is too negative of an opinion! I mean if I was trying to sell it I would have at the least taken a garden hose to it and washed off some of the dust and dirt both inside the cab and under the hood!
The one item it's missing--piston coolers--so it's more than likely a NTC230 with that arrangement of parts.
If its a NTC 350 block it would use the smaller piston cooling nozzles. Even the bigger ones could be there with the grime on the block.
The 230 small cam had everything a 350 had except piston coolers. Even with the crud on that block those would be visible. It has none.
I'd have to figure out a way to get it on my trailer. With its brakes locked on. I don't have dollies that big. Or a winch that could drag the tires. Once I got it up there, it's 18k empty, and my trailer is 26k, so I'd be 1k over legal, which is exactly the grace you get in TX. So I could tow it with my F550. But how the heck to get in up on the flatbed...hydraulic dovetail doesn't help much in this case. That is a bigger concern to me. The guy is getting on in age, doesn't remember much, retired 15 years ago, and is only selling off trucks now.
So you want it for parts or to run down the road? Are you needing a water truck or are you wanting to make a dump out of it- used water trucks don't usually bring much money. If its been setting for the 15 years the seller has been retired- its going to take a lot of work to get it going- more than the truck is worth. The brakes being locked is no big deal- you should be able to get the spring cans off, or just cut the rods, and if you give it a pull and some love taps with a hammer, the brakes would be free. Hire a wrecker to put a snatch block on the front of your trailer and pull it on. It looks like it would weigh more than 18k to me, and I wouldn't want to haul that 6 hours on a gooseneck behind a pickup. Especially not in august in texas. Unless you like changing tires. I also think that used truck prices are very high right now- but that six months from now, used prices will come down. And it looks like this is a six month project truck at least. So why not wait six months and buy something that runs and drives?
I need a water truck for compaction. That baffled 5k gal tank is worth $5k to me right now. You're right, finding a truck is not that hard. Even in Texas. It has not sold yet, and many potential buyers may be discouraged by its condition, as y'all have noted. I'm waiting, then may offer less. Its unladen weight is listed as 18k on the title, btw.
What's the price? I think I've seen some water trucks that run and drive for 5k-10k https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...275-Trucks-Tank_Truck_or_Water_Truck-Oklahoma That tank might be worth money, if it's not swiss cheese, look at the condition of the truck and if saltwater was left in the tank...... It's 18k without the tank, I can't remember how much it should weigh but probably around 22-24k. A 80 bbl water truck loaded with water typically weighs around 60k, do the math and tank out the water. (26k # is 80 bbl water)
Well if the tank is worth $5,000 to you that's about all I would offer. I'm just wondering what kind of a money pit the truck could end up being.
Biggest problem with trucks this age-Cummins no longer supports these old engines, all aftermarket, Eaton is cutting back support for gearboxes, all aftermarket. IH doesn't really support cab parts on those old cabs. Same with the rest.
The tank is worth '$5000' where he is at, getting the tank home will cut heavily into that. Installing the tank on a truck is also very pricey, probably to the tune of $2500+ and we don't know of any condition of the tank, valves, seals, hinges...etc, so getting a running truck with a tank is more valuable.
Every water truck around my neck of the woods that is that old, has chassis rails near on rotted-out - and if you whack the tank and knock the scale off the inside, you find the tank metal has about 1/16" thickness left in it! I'm afraid that old rig is not worth paying very much for, because you've got a pile of time and effort in hauling it home, and another pile of effort to get it back up to running and driveable condition - and even then, you'll still only have a $3K water truck. I long ago stopped hauling old junkers home, from a long way away. There's always something better close to home, provided you just wait a little, and keep your ear to the ground.
this one reminds me of some soviet truck
I just purchased a 1981 international model 1854 S1800 tandem axle dump truck on-line auction BRAKES are bad.. TWO things 1.) i would like to convert this to Disc. Anyone done this by buying a front steer asy., and rear hub-dis caliper set up? Please share all details if so.. And 2.) Next i am shopping for brake parts and diagrams. this is tandem and last axle is Tag axle. someone crimped off the brake line. I am using this on private property just need to get good brakes. I put ona new master cyl, now waiting on a hydro-boost. and will bleed the system again. I need to verify adjustment of the front cam set up that has the 1/2" bolts. Theory of operation.. I am ordering new rear adjustment parts these are in bad shape. Overall this Detroit L6 and dump sections work great. Other than rodent smell in cab is very bad.. Where is the best place to buy new floor mat? Thanks Richard
I would not consider the change to disc unless I had the whole truck the axle will come off of. Those drum brakes worked well just fix what you have. Just my opinion.
https://kpr.craigslist.org/hvo/d/richland-peterbilt-water-truck/7516513079.html
https://kpr.craigslist.org/hvo/d/richland-1980-series-ford-water-truck/7516515598.html