Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

8.3L Cummins /MD3060 Allison

Flat Thunder Channel ยท 2021-06-13 09:01

Any input on this drivetrain combination? I'm interested in purchasing a used class A RV. It is built on a chassis with this powerplant and drivetrain combination. I think they are good, but I am not overly familiar with the Cummins family. It's a 1995 Spartan chassis. I found that the WTEC II controllers for the transmissions can give you troubles. I also found quite a few people on forums troubleshooting transmission problems that ultimately lead back to a damaged wiring harness. Any input would be appreciated. Cheers,

Replies4
  1. #1grandpa2021-06-13 18:48

    Cummins good, Allison good. Hope this gives you a fuzzy warm feeling.

  2. #2CM19952021-06-13 18:54

    How many gears in the MD3060?

  3. #3Birken Vogt2021-06-13 19:20

    I agree, one of the best combinations, if not the best available in that model year. That transmission has the possibility for up to 6 gears but 6th might be locked out. The way the mfr set it up is probably fine though.

  4. #4Flat Thunder Channel2021-06-13 23:39

    Thank you for all the feedback! I thought it was a great combination, but I'm no diesel expert. Unfortunately someone else wanted the RV more than me. I lost out on the winning bid. Darn! Back to square one l suppose. Still looking for one with the same combo. I like Cummins, but I'm afraid the 5.9 is a too small for a class A big boy. I'm holding out for 8.3.