I have a JLG lift that needs tires in a bad way. They are foam filled and falling apart. I haven't looked at the date code, but based on condition, I suspect they are over 20 years old. It has 8.75-16.5 traction tires, three different brands. None are still available. I would like to replace it with the GoodYear G171, but they don't make them in that size anymore. I found some through Specialty Tire of America, $175 each. Anyone know of any other places to find a traction tire in 8.75-16.5"? I can find a bunch of trailer tires in that size, but only one in a traction tire.
Only one I found
Same one I found too. Kind of frustrating. If JLG had made the rim an inch wider, I could use 10-16.5 skid steer tires. This lift has a 9 bolt pattern so its not exactly easy to change to a different wheel.
Ahhh- but it was cheap on the sale............
have you actually cut one of the tires off the rim to see if you still have a rim?
I don't see an inch of width causing a major concern. It might be a little more difficult to mount the tire but it should still work just fine. It's not like you are 6" off from standard required width of the rim. If you are that worried about it, purchase one and try it before committing to all four. This coming from a guy that rides a motorcycle with a car tire on the back wheel and a rear motorcycle tire on the front wheel (known as "Double Darkside"). Installation of a wider tire is a little more difficult but everything still works just fine with more added benefits. Many voices tell me that I will crash. So many other friends have well over 100,000 miles of experience with Darkside and no problems. Real world performance is more important validation than any book requirements.
No, I have not yet. I'm going to attempt tire removal on one of the steer tires this afternoon. The steers are in worse shape, and I can put a cheap trailer tire in that position. I only need 2 traction tires (2WD only) so I guess I'm gonna bite the bullet and pay up for the STA Traction tires list above. I'm mostly shocked by the lack of options available. It currently has 3 different tire models on it, and none of those are available anymore in that size.
I can give it a try. I have an old tire off my bobcat that I can try once I get the foam filled tire off.
we have a tela handler that did have four foam filled 2 different sizes much screamin n fightin to get tires off to find nothin left of the rims
Thanks for the heads up. These rims don't show any damage from the outside, but I guess I won't be surprised if they're rotten on the inside now.
A sawzall is your friend
a very slow turning cold saw blade flooded with soapy water works the best from what I`ve seen