Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Useless truck dealer…

Welder Dave · 2020-07-24 21:48

I have 2015 F150 with a 2.7 Eco boost engine bought new in Jan. 2016. In the deal I got a service package. It was due for the 98,000km. service in March but I didn't have that many km's at the time and health officials were saying to avoid going anywhere that wasn't essential due to Covid 19. I didn't feel a service was essential. After they went to phase 2 of re-openings I wanted to book it in for the service. They asked the mileage and I said I think it's about 101,000km's. Then they said the service I PREPAID for expires at 101,000km's. I said I'd check and call them back... 101,166.9KM's. After about a week it got approved. This was about 3 weeks ago. Just before I took it in the check engine light came on. I had to pay $200 for a diagnosis and it came back the EVAP gizmo in the fuel tank is the culprit. A very common problem on these trucks. Called Ford as suggested by dealer and they said it's up to the dealer to submit a request to Ford. After waiting another week was told it isn't covered and is $800+ for the dealer to repair. During the service they also noted my oil pan and to a lesser extent the timing cover are leaking. Oil pan leaking is such a problem Ford has issued a TSB on the subject. Talked to the assistant service manager who informed me it also isn't covered by warranty. I should point out that I informed her my partner works in an extended care facility that had a positive Covid test. Assistant service manager tells me there is nothing the dealer can do once Ford says no. I call a larger Ford dealer and explain the situation to him and he totally agrees with me 167kms. over is ridiculous to deny warranty due to Covid. He says a dealer can issue an AWA (after warranty assistance) to help customers and is usually a (33%) 30/30/30 deal between the dealer, Ford and the customer but can only be done by the original owner and the dealer that services the vehicle. I call the woman at my dealer back and ask her about an AWA as she says it's at the dealers discretion and they don't have allocation (might have been a different word) to do an AWA (that's why she never suggested it). What, you're saying if I had purchased at a different dealer they would go to bat for me but you won't do anything! She said she would talk to the service manager when he returns in about a week. I bought the truck at that dealer because a friend is a diesel tech. there. Always had pretty good service there. He had said he could do the EVAP at his place but that was before I found out the oil pan leak is also being denied warranty. All these repairs would be close to 3K to have done at the dealer and all are very common problems on this model of truck. I asked if they would give a discount on parts if I had someone else do the repairs (my friend) and the best she could offer was 10% off parts BUT only if the dealer performed all the work. I think anywhere might give 10% off if you asked. What would be the best course of action to take to get this dealer to pull their head out of their azz and realize there were extenuating circumstances why I waited to bring the truck in. If living with someone who works in a facility that had a case of Covid isn't a good enough reason, I don't know what is. The sad thing is I really like the truck otherwise. Judging from what I read online there should have been a recall but according to the other dealer, they only do recalls if it's a safety issue. There is talk of a class action suit against Ford but that hasn't materialized yet. By 2 new trucks in 5 years from the same dealer and they just leave you high and dry. Unacceptable! I don't think I should put up with this from the dealer?

Replies54
  1. #1Ct Farmer2020-07-24 22:58

    I think your service advisor is just not on the ball or has little clout with his regional rep who would approve the warranty coverage. My brother in law is a service advisor for a high end European brand and he tells me he gets post warranty work covered quite often. Of course he is always in the top 10 in the country for service sold and customer satisfaction so has a lot of clout to get a few things covered. My sister met him when he was at Ford and that POS Probe she had kept breaking down, he got lots of stuff covered that wasn’t supposed to be. If you always get your service from that dealer and buy your trucks there I would think they should be trying harder to help you out. 167km is nothing.

  2. #2Welder Dave2020-07-25 00:53

    Yeah, that's what the other dealers assistant service manager said too. If I recall my friend said the dealer has a different rating than the larger dealers in the big cities so that may have something to do with it. The assistant service manager I was dealing with said that she is doing all of the administering of the claims while the manager is away. I wonder if she's trying to get brownie points for trying to increase income for the shop or save the dealer from any expenses? I know from a motorcycle dealer that a good dealer or even a good mechanic will fight for the customer on something that they feel should be warranty and not a result of something the customer did. As far as the the Probe, the GF had one and it was more problems than it was worth.

  3. #3mitch5042020-07-25 13:02

    So, what you are really saying is that if welder Dave gets this girl to think he'll marry her, his truck will be covered...

  4. #4Vetech632020-07-25 13:42

    That might bring out the “Carrie” in her!

  5. #5Welder Dave2020-07-25 14:33

    Just looking into it more wondering if Ford is reading the date I purchased the truck wrong. It was purchased Jan. 1/2016 and has a 5 year/100,000km powertrain warranty which would put me to Jan. 1/2021 timewise. The previous service suggested it should come back in March by the window sticker or 99,xxx kms. I wasn't at that mileage until sometime in April. March 17 was when the provincial government issued a state of emergency due to Covid 19 and telling people to stay home except for essential services. I waited until after the 2nd phase of re-opening in mid June to book my service. Truck went in in early July and that's when I was informed of the oil leaks. I don't think it's unreasonable to have put approx. 1200kms on in 2 1/2 month's while waiting for Covid updates. Apparently Ford has some complex formula for guessing your mileage and says my warranty expired in Feb. Even the sticker from the last service suggested March. I'm going to go the other dealer because I think at least the oil leaks should be fully covered by warranty under the circumstances. Horrible customer service.

  6. #6suladas2020-07-25 17:59

    I think you're being way too easy going with them. In normal times if I was 1100km out of a 100k warranty and something happened i'd be telling the dealer they will be covering it 100%. I was 7000km and like 6 months out of warranty on my last truck and the dealer/Dodge was willing to pick up part of the tab of a known issue, right off the bat the dealer offered me turbo at cost. But considering the circumstances it's not even a discussion of covering it or not. I would first try another dealer, and contacting Ford directly and not ask for it to be covered but tell them they are doing so. If you need to, I wouldn't hesitate to tell them it would be really bad PR for the dealer and Ford for a news story to run of denied warranty considering the circumstances. I mean a few manufactures automatically extended all warranties for a few months. Does the dealer who denied the warranty do all your service? If so and if they didn't warn you on the last oil change of warranty expiring, I would also use that. It might not help much but if you push hard enough I don't think you'll have any problems getting it covered 100%. Also the fact that for a truck that age and mileage that's a lot of issues to be having.

  7. #7John Canfield2020-07-25 18:32

    Dealers not focused on keeping customers happy post sale will slowly die on the vine. It's also difficult to believe your truck has oil leaks at five years and 100 km.

  8. #8Truck Shop2020-07-25 18:44

    The difference between then and now. In 1961 my dad bought a 1960 Ford Ranch station wagon-{back when they still made a thing called a station wagon}. We didn't have it six months and the transmission went south, then a electrical fire and after that brake issues. If I remember correctly it spent most of late 1961 at the dealer he bought it from. His complaints went no where and we were lucky at the time to still have the old 52 Plymouth potato car to drive. So he went to the bank that financed that Ford and told the head banker the story. The banker grabbed his hat and told dad we're going for a ride and see those folks. To make it short-The banker told them he financed alot of cars from that dealer and the car that they sold my dad was a lemon and they better take care of it by getting him a new or different car of equal value when he bought the car. That dealer rolled over and took the car back and he drove away with a new 1961 Ford Wagon. It was a pretty good car. Those days are long gone your just a account number, and nobody really cares. It's all a roll of the dice.

  9. #9NepeanGC2020-07-25 20:10

    I've had similar experiences with ford dealers locally.I've got two 2016 F150s, bought within weeks of each other. Sales dealer didnt give a crap about some minor warranty issues. It's why when we bought a new truck this year, I immediately ruled out the Ford F550. Went with a Hino instead. I vote with my wallet.

  10. #10Welder Dave2020-07-25 20:25

    There are some engines that have started leaking at less than 1000 miles. The larger dealer I spoke with said most of the problems they've had were with the 3.5 but did say he knows of one 2.7 that pretty much needed a new oil pan every oil change. Apparently the latest TSB from Ford seems to work to stop the leak but has to be followed to the letter. It is beyond ridiculous that the dealer is just accepting Fords no to warranty. Yeah, if it qualifies for warranty should have nothing to do with a dealer AWA and should be able to be done by any Ford dealer. I'm going to make an appointment with the assistant service manager at the larger dealer I spoke with. He seemed very good and I think should be able to get all my service history from the VIN. Below is what I copied from an F150 forum. Leaking oil pan at 160 miles! Just traded my 2015 2.7L in for a 2017 3.5L. I absolutely love this new truck. It's everything I always wanted, even the color (Lithium Grey)...except for the plastic oil pan leaking. I know from reading the forums, this is a widespread issue for 2.7L and 3.5L owners who have this type of oil pan. The 2015 I just traded in ALSO had the leaking oil pan issue. Took it to the dealer, they removed the pan, resealed it and put the original pan back on, but a few days later it started leaking AGAIN. The second time around, Ford told them to order a NEW pan. Rather than giving me my truck back, they had it for 31 DAYS due to the back order on the new pan. After they put the NEW pan on, it was fixed and no more leaks ever again. Fast forward to yesterday. My new 2017 has 160 miles on it. Due to my past experience with my 2015, I went under the truck to check for leaks and sure as hell, the same synthetic oil pan is leaking around the same area as my 2015. Check for oil hanging off the bottom of bolts where the top of the pan mates to the bottom of the engine block. I called my dealer and have an appointment. They even acknowledged that they have been seeing this like crazy. I know they will take care of me, but they told me that Ford tells them that they HAVE TO try to reuse the original pan first before they are allowed to order a new pan. I said that it total bull****. I know I'm going to be in there a second time because it's going to leak after they put it back on just like my 2015 did. I did a TON of research and others are saying that the synthetic pan are ONE TIME USE ONLY because they warp. They all had to make multiple trips as well. QUESTION - Is there ANYTHING I can do to convince them to just order a new pan so I don't have to go through this again? This dealer is very far from where I live and I hate making multiple trips, especially for the same issue. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164470-0001.pdf

  11. #11CM19952020-07-25 21:21

    Just like heavy equipment, the dealer makes or breaks a brand locally.

  12. #12Ct Farmer2020-07-25 21:30

    That could be hard, probably Ford has a procedure and the dealer needs to follow it. Even if it is dumb. I can tell you we have a Jeep with a lifetime warranty. Jeep had a problem with rear diff housings welded out of alignment. We got a bad one. Logic says replace the whole thing but no, procedure is to rebuild it. On the third rebuild now, starting to make noise again so probably next spring. Makes no sense.

  13. #13Truck Shop2020-07-25 22:05

    Late 80's I worked a short time for a Ford dealer {mainly 6.9-7.3 diesel}. I had a warranty job on a 88 Crown Victoria with a 302/5L for main bearing knock, car had 11,000 miles on it. The warranty repair procedure was absolute bull **** and I told the service writer so and that it would not work , the customer was within earshot. But because it was warranty this waste of time had to be performed first. Remove main cap-plasti-gauge that journal if it was .0005 over tolerance install a .0005 over bearing in cap only. Some journals had .001 over on bottom and .0005 over on top. Ford produced a little over 3,000 5L blocks that had crooked line bores-the blocks were junk from factory. Phony *** repair-well it still made noise and the owner was back about a week later mad as hell-{you should have listened to the mechanic he said to the service writer. {I want a new engine or I'm going to the lemon law route}. He got a brand new 5L, but the dealer and Ford Corp pi$$ed off a customer in the process. This guy had bought 12 plus vehicles from this dealer for his business-after that I noticed he had a bunch of GM products. Lets fix it with with a hunk of leather-frod.

  14. #14mitch5042020-07-25 22:15

    Are you taking this dealer's word for it that the warranty won't cover it, or have YOU heard that from Ford? A customer of mine had a lot of trouble with the local Dynamic Conehead dealer, because they could charge him more for the "out of warranty" repairs than the factory would pay. I got him to let me handle it, and ended up with them sending me the parts overnight air- saturday delivery, because once the factory said it was under warranty, the dealer said it would be a few weeks to get it in their shop. The owner had to pay my labor, but it was only 1 day, and free parts. The dealer quoted $8000.00

  15. #15mitch5042020-07-25 22:19

    The other thing I saw was a neighbor parked a year old F-350 on the street in front of the dealer with yellow balloons tied all over it, and signs detailing all the things that were wrong with it. After a few days, and a mention in the newspaper, he got a new one.

  16. #16Welder Dave2020-07-25 22:43

    Ford said the warranty expired in February going by a complex formula they use to GUESS what mileage is on the vehicle. The windshield sticker from the last service even said March but I wasn't at the mileage listed yet. Then all the stay at home unless absolutely necessary to go out suggestions came and the province declared a state of emergency. In the mean time find out my partner had a positive case of covid at the extended care she works at. She wasn't sure if she'd have to quarantine for 14 days. I figured a vehicle service could be put on hold until things settle down a bit. Should I have lied about being in contact with someone who worked at a covid positive site??? It baffles my mind!

  17. #17John Canfield2020-07-26 09:35

    A plastic oil pan Dave? Have you checked to see if there are after market metal pans available?

  18. #18Truck Shop2020-07-26 10:33

    Series 60 Detroit have plastic pans and valve covers.

  19. #19RollOver Pete2020-07-26 10:49

    Why?

  20. #20Truck Shop2020-07-26 12:42

    Because there light, cheap to build and the plastic dissipates heat fast.

  21. #21Welder Dave2020-07-26 14:11

    No aftermarket pans available for the 2.7. Apparently the pans have special baffles in them so oil drains slower for the start/stop feature. Newer engines use a neoprene gasket or something like that but it can't be used on the older engines. I think some of them are leaking too. I think the 3.5's went to an aluminum pan and there is an aftermarket available too. The latest TSB is supposed to fix the leaking if done properly but is an expensive repair.

  22. #22suladas2020-07-26 15:00

    I will never understand the way Ford went with a lot of that BS between the ecoboost and having trucks that shut off after a few seconds. It's all nothing but problems.

  23. #23Tinkerer2020-07-26 15:11

    Seems strange, Dealers get paid for doing warranty work by the .mfr don't they ? I would think the would be eager to do all the warranty work they can get. Dam, Dave you deserve a break. My nephew has a 2019 Ford super duty 250 and it has the famous front end shake. They haven't been able to fix it yet.

  24. #24Welder Dave2020-07-26 15:12

    Start/stop has been trouble free. Eco-boost are good engines but they needed to pay more attention to a few things like the oil pan leaks.

  25. #25suladas2020-07-26 15:13

    The problem is many dealers have the attitude it's a big enough city they don't need repeat business, loyalty means nothing to them. About 10 years ago I bought a used 07 Dodge with the Cummins from a Chev dealer, biggest mistake ever. After a few months started running rough, in the little over a year I owned it it spent about 4 months at the dealership trying to fix it. It was so bad when I would bring it in they knew me, the truck, everything. They pulled the engine out 3 times, replaced transmission, replaced cam, some pistons, injectors, injector wiring, everything. I think the initial problem was simply injector wiring, but it ran so long shaking it tore everything else apart. I went back to dealer I bought it from and they contacted the old owners who "denied to say why they sold it" in a round about way the salesman admitted they traded it in because it had problems. The truck only had 70,000km on it, engine warranty is 160,000km so it's not like it was even anywhere close. Dodge was just buying time until the 5 years ran out. I tried to get the dealership and Dodge to both sell me a new truck at cost, void the warranty on the truck and run it though an auction. Cheapest and easiest solution, not to mention keep me happy. Or pull the engine and put in a new crate motor and replace absolutely everything at one time. Both refused. They also eventually got to the point of saying the engine ran fine even though you could visibly watch it shake well beyond what it should at idle so I was forced to sell it. The dealer off the record told me Dodge said enough is enough, we're not spending anymore money on the truck. Found out later on new owner had it back at same dealership for exact same problem. I bet Dodge paid at least $30k to the dealership in repairs when I owned it, they would have been much further ahead to buy it and void the warranty, but nope.

  26. #26suladas2020-07-26 15:20

    I guess it depends on your opinion of trouble free and where you look. If you asked people who owned them up to 100km you'd likely hear mostly good. But around 150k+ many seem to hate them because so many become money pits. Also so much more expensive to fix then a regular gas engine that preforms just as well.

  27. #27Welder Dave2020-07-26 15:30

    From what I have read dealers sometimes have to be careful of how many warranty claims they put in. This dealer is in a smaller market than the big city dealers. If they put in more claims (per capita) than a bigger dealer might raise red flags for Ford with more claims denied. The other thing I've read is that warranty work doesn't pay as much as what the dealer could charge a customer and sometimes the work takes longer than is allotted. I can see a busy dealer wanting to do more customer paid work and getting full retail on parts supplied. I don't think a dealer makes any markup on parts for warranty work as they are supplied by the OEM. A lot of the problem is with Ford but but despite what the dealer is telling me, I have no way of knowing how much the dealer actually went to bat for me or what was actually communicated to Ford. Did the fact I got the service agreement done on warranty somehow negate getting the oil leak on warranty? There is an arbitrator you can have look into the issue but I think under the circumstances the oil leaks at least should be covered fully under the power train warranty. I hope to talk to the other dealer tomorrow. I'm not giving up without a fight on this one.

  28. #28John Canfield2020-07-26 18:28

    My wife has a 2020 Lincoln Avaitor (Lincoln version of the new rear wheel drive Explorer) with the stupid stop-start 'feature.' There's a plug and play bypass kit to permanently disable that 'feature,' I will be buying one. It can be disabled in the menu but it resets every time you shut off the vehicle. Why put 10x or 100x the wear on the starter so Ford could make their mpg numbers?

  29. #29suladas2020-07-26 18:33

    Warranty work does pay less, but in the last year or so many if not all dealers have been slow. They've been bugging the hell out of me and everyone I know begging to bring vehicles in for warranty/recall work. A few years ago when things were busy it was the opposite but right now many are going the extra mile to get things covered to bring them work. I think a big city dealer would be a better bet. If they want to get it covered they have a lot more pull then the little dealers. However time is against you, the longer it waits the harder it will be to get covered. Do you have it well documented about contacting the dealer at the 1100 km over or whatever it was?

  30. #30suladas2020-07-26 18:36

    Whoever makes Ford starters loves it! I can't imagine the MPG benefits being much if at all, if you're stopped for under a minute it would burn more restarting then idling. Also it's way more wear on the engine. It wouldn't be so bad if it turned off at the 2 minute mark or so. But what about if it's -30 or +30? Terrible design.

  31. #31Truck Shop2020-07-26 18:37

    Warranty work years back was bolts off bolts on time only, it didn't pay time to source the parts, clean related parts or area clean up afterward. The flat rate was cut to the bone, if you didn't have your air tools just a humming you would lose your *** on the job. I suppose 30% of my work on 6.9-7.3 diesel and any gas power that landed in my stall was warranty work, but I still averaged 215 hrs a period, sometimes or the highest IIRC was 235 hrs. You can't stand and gab on flat rate and include warranty work.

  32. #32Truck Shop2020-07-26 18:53

    With Freightliner or other brands it's called optimum idle, mainly to be used in the winter and summer months. And it can be program deleted, but their are drivers who are constantly idling as much as 65% idle time-add that one up in diesel fuel burned going no where. And yes it wears out starters no doubt about that, by the time some trucks have 200,000 on them the starter has been replaced. Then the other factor is actual engine hours on oil and filters with high idle time, few calculate the actual run time between services. I liked the old days-no AC and a heater that put out just enough to keep the frost bite away. People stay skinnier when they sweat or have to work to stay warm.

  33. #33Welder Dave2020-07-26 19:13

    I've got a pic. on my phone of the mileage before I took it in (for approval of the service) and the work order for the service shows the mileage. Dealer also has the complete service history as they did it and it was not just oil changes. This last service they changed the tranny fluid, spark plugs, etc. If my brakes would have been less than 3mm they would have changed them too.

  34. #34CM19952020-07-26 19:20

    Stock truck? If it's stock, the geometry is out of whack from the factory and the dealer should be able to get it back in line. I played hell when I leveled the front of my F350. Finally got it right after a dual steering stabilizer and Carli track bar. Won't be leveling anymore trucks in the future as long as Ford offers the Tremor package.

  35. #35Tinkerer2020-07-26 20:45

    I'm not trying to hijack this thread. but -----> https://thelemonfirm.com/2019/12/13/be-afraid-be-very-afraid-of-the-ford-super-duty-death-wobble/

  36. #36CM19952020-07-26 21:10

    Death wobble is common with straight axle 4x4 front ends when the geometry gets out of whack. All sorts of vehicles with straight front axles can experience it. My stock '13 F350 would exhibit slight death wobble when the front tires were getting worn close to replacement. Replaced the tires and it went away.

  37. #37Truck Shop2020-07-26 21:30

    This issue goes back into the late 80's with the super duty including the 2WD's. As far as I know Dodge has not had that issue with solid steer axles. The death wobble as it's called is violent as hell in some cases. As I said before the Ag company I worked for had four that had that problem those were all 2WD and all had the issue under 30,000 from new plus it only took 40mph to set up the shimmy. Tires were changed, springs, panard bar, shocks, tie rods, king pins including the steering boxes and column joint by the dealer to no avail, plus several independent alignment shops checked them. When I worked for that company one driver fractured his wrist trying to keep it under control at 50. All four ended up under the lemon law. The years of the companies super duties that had the issue were from 89 through 94. Steering stabilizers were installed to try and mask the problem but that's all it did was mask it. When I see a large ford coming my way I keep an eye on it.

  38. #38repowerguy2020-07-27 05:13

    Where I work I had a 95 Super Duty [450] that had the death shake if you didn't put a steering stabilizer on it every 18 months. If you did that, it was smooth as glass.

  39. #39Truck Shop2020-07-27 07:47

    And that is what was done in most cases, but I look at from the stand point of how much did the vehicle cost when new and it has to have parts added to it to make it drive-able? Wow that's that's like adding an extra spring to the toaster to make sure the bread pops up to keep it from burning. It's a flawed design that is dangerous-and even worse on a slick road. Sorry but the flaw has never been corrected and probably won't be corrected.

  40. #40John Canfield2020-07-27 10:15

    I had death wobble on my SW Bell work van (before I went from hourly to salaried, then I couldn't pick up a tool) - scared the crap out of me. DW is well known in the off-road lifted big tire Jeep community. The usual culprits are the front track bar, maybe control arms and once in a while the ball joints or tie/drag link rod ends (or all of the above.) My 2000 F-250 Powerstroke (2WD) has never had any shimmy or front end shake but I only have about 80K miles on it.

  41. #41mitch5042020-07-27 11:19

    I bought a used '92 F-Super Duty, (solid axle, 2wd, 16000 gvwr) after a month or two, it suddenly had a violent shaking of the steering wheel. I pulled over thinking something bad had happened, but saw nothing. I crept the mile or 2 back to the shop, jacked it up, found nothing. Turns out, it will do this every few years, new steering stabilizer (factory fitted) AND new front shocks cures it. One or the other does nothing. I have owned at least 25 solid axle trucks over the years, from 25-80,000 gvwr. This is the only one with the springs on backwards, a diagonal bar from frame to axle, a steering stabilizer, and a sway bar. My question is, why did Ford think they had a better idea, and, when it didn't work, add more crap; instead of just going back to what has worked for over 100 yrs?

  42. #42RollOver Pete2020-07-27 11:30

    Death wobble haunted my 2006 with 15000 miles...completely stock. Went to the dealer and knew within the first 10 minutes that they didn't know what the hell they were doing. Leaving it for 1 day just for them to look at it didn't work for me. Them saying that I had too much air in my fronts (80psi) proved it to me. I got my truck and got the hell out of there. At 12000 lbs, my truck is always loaded. Lettering air out fixes what? I ended up making a custom panhard bar, using different hardware and adding a steering box brace has made a 99% improvement over what i had. It seems like at times I can almost feel DW coming on if I hit a bump in the road just right with my front left but so far, so good. I still white knuckle it and probably always will. Its a serious design flaw and the way DC just starts exchanging parts and adjusting tire psi makes it obvious that....there really isn't a fix.

  43. #43Truck Shop2020-07-27 11:47

    Because I worked f dealer years ago I would see the issues first hand and the first place I would look was to see if there was a corrective service bulletin. The amount of bulletins was ridiculous. But I think one of the phoniest was the corrective for low oil pressure on 6.9-7.3 engines. The gauge would read on the low side when new but checking with a manual gauge it was still acceptable range at the very minimum psi. The fix was install a 12" long resistance wire between sending unit and the original sending wire to make the gauge read higher-hoping it would make til the warranty expired. Some engines just had loose tolerance on crank or cam bearings.

  44. #44Welder Dave2020-07-28 03:08

    Just to update I called the other dealer to see if they might be able to contact a regional manager but he pretty much said because I didn't buy the vehicle from them, he wouldn't be able to offer assistance. He did say he's never heard of the ridiculous formula for figuring the mileage that Ford told me. He was also shocked when I told him the other dealer said they weren't allocated for AWA's. He said it's available to all dealers. A little later my friend who's a mechanic at the dealer I bought the truck from called and said the managers and a lot of the staff are terrible. He said there's more managers than there is techs. If you want to have a manager title you just have to ask. The owner seems OK but he's never there. The service writer who called me is totally useless and the assistant service manager I was dealing with not much better. He told me he gave the service writer I dealt with an estimate for transmission repairs at 9:45 in the morning and didn't bother looking at it to call the customer for 4-1/2 hours. When he phoned the customer, the customer asked why he called... The customer knew one of the other mechanics and called him to ask about it 3 hours earlier and gave the OK for repairs. Apparently the fixed operations manager thinks the service writer is great. My friend also said they do AWA's fairly often. Interesting is that the assistant service manager is the daughter of another mechanic who my friend doesn't think much of. When ever warranty is denied they suspect he's the one making the call. My friend and the shop manager, who he likes, have been there since the beginning when a new owner took over the dealership. Most of the rest of the staff is like a revolving door. I'm going to wait a week or so to see if the manager that is away calls me regarding an AWA. If I get nowhere, I will seriously consider contacting the local media. I don't think it looks good for Ford or the dealer that they denied warranty because it expired (the mileage aspect only) during stay at home recommendations. I think most people would find that appalling. It may be mostly Ford but seeing the dealers name certainly won't entice people to buy from them. I may talk to a lawyer as well to get some advice on how to proceed if nothing is offered to help with the repairs. It's pretty bad when the original tires hold air better than the engine holds oil.

  45. #45Truck Shop2020-07-28 07:38

    Sounds like the dealer I worked at years ago, good luck.

  46. #46crane operator2020-07-28 12:03

    Sorry to hijack for a moment dave- I've always heard of this death wobble, but only thing with bad shake I've had was a 01 dodge, and its just the steering box shot. Until now. 2006 ford f-250 85,000 miles, 4x4 with 5.4. Rides and steers nice most of the time, but if you hit a funny spot in the pavement, the whole front end will shake/ I understand what death wobble is now. Pop the brakes and it will come out of it. It seems the track bar/ steering stabilizer on the front of the axle is worn/ loose on pass side. Just replace? aftermarket or OEM?

  47. #47Ct Farmer2020-07-28 12:33

    It it not just Ford with the death wobble. Dodge had the same issues. Steering geometry all wrong. The did 2 recalls. First replacement had a new design, it failed also. They recalled the replacement with a statement that “parts are not available.” Apparently saying that they don’t have the parts relieves them of obligation to do anything as I never heard from them again. I never did any recall and put on an aftermarket linkage from Synergy (greasable and rebuildable and upgraded to 19.5 tires. Also upsized the wheel studs to 5/8. Runs smooth as glass and no shake or anything. Even with 4K in the bed and pulling 16k on trailer. And... no steering stabilizer. Just don’t need it.

  48. #48Welder Dave2020-07-28 14:14

    I should have said my friend gets along good with the shop foreman not the shop manager. He doesn't think much of any of the managers. The owner is OK but he is the one who hired all the managers. I guess if he's not there much doesn't pay too much attention to what's going on. I guess if he's making money doesn't feel he needs to be there. Not unlike shows like Restaurant Impossible where they try to help failing restaurants. If you want to run a business you have to be there and be the captain of the ship. If not you have no idea what goes on.

  49. #49John Canfield2020-07-28 14:15

    Sounds like you have bump steer. Have someone rotate the steering wheel while you are looking and listening to the front suspension. Lay on the ground while you look at all of the front suspension, you might find more slop. Your track bar might or might not be rebuildable, I use an aftermarket one on my Jeep.

  50. #50repowerguy2020-07-28 15:13

    At a former employer they had a 2010 or so short bed F 250 4x4 that got the death wobble only at certain times. It became my job to find the problem. After some detective work, I found it happened when loaded for bear and pulling an overloaded trailer. The tail down loaded was changing the caster angle and made it into a wobblin goblin. Some 350 rear springs were the “repair”.

  51. #51The Peej2020-07-29 07:19

    This guy seems to know his stuff.

  52. #52dixon7002020-07-29 20:32

    I'd ditch that truck and find a new dealership. I know for 100% I wouldn't have to deal with that bull at my local dodge dealer. My salesman/half owner of the dealership is a pretty straight up dude. They really try to take care of you when you buy a Laramie 2500hd too

  53. #53Welder Dave2020-07-29 22:26

    Not in a position to buy another truck. Going to wait till next Wed. and if I don't hear anything from the "manager" will try to set up a meeting with the owner. If they say that can't be done, then I'll get some legal advice. All the evidence shows the (mileage) warranty would have ended right in the middle of stay at home recommendations. I did find something from a dealer in another province that has a memo from Ford: Through a case by case review, Ford of Canada and its dealers will give Customers a reasonable opportunity to receive the intended benefits of their warranties. I don't think I'm being unreasonable, especially for a known issue.

  54. #54dixon7002020-07-31 11:49

    They need to do something for you. Than that would probably be my last Ford. Especially last one from that dealership.