Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

8 buildings in town burned, needing demolition.

dirty4fun ยท 2013-07-22 19:16

8 buildings on Main St. that burned last week will need to be cleaned up. It is a small rural town in N. IL. I am sure you will need all kinds of certificates as they were old and without a doubt have Asbestos like so many old buildings have. If interested let me know and I sure will try to help get you to the right people. I am not certified so can't do the job, wish I could as the owners and the community could use a few good breaks, after this tragic fire.

Replies8
  1. #1Wolf2013-08-15 19:43

    How old were the buildings? Are they completely destroyed, or is anything salvageable?

  2. #2dirty4fun2013-08-16 04:58

    The buildings were 100 years old and older. Most of them burned and fell into the basement, one on each end still have the first floor. The brick fronts were pushed in, as they were to dangerous that they couldn't open the highway to traffic. They awarded he clean up on Tuesday just over 200K. There was one bid at 400K. Not sure if they will try to salvage any of the face brick from the fronts of the buildings.

  3. #3Greg2013-08-27 22:32

    What town was it in? Any consideraton for hazardous waste like asbestos and lead?

  4. #4dirty4fun2013-08-28 04:44

    Prophetstown, I assume who ever is going to do the removal will have to be certified as I am sure that there is both asbestos and lead. I know one of the bidders is certified, and will make it tough on anyone not certified if he doesn't get the job. Not much left two a couple of the building s but the ones on both ends of the fire still have part of the second floor standing. Kind of looks like someone dropped a bomb, as the brick fronts and backs of buildings are pushed in, for safety I guess.

  5. #5redneckchevy92013-09-10 17:09

    It stills look exactly the same as it did once all the dust settled. I see that there is one big dumpster in front of the rubble. It looks to me like all of the work is being done from the backside in the alley. Not sure who got the winning bid, but they have been working everyday it seems. I know that they were up there on both saturday and sundays still at 5pm. They had one of the excavators down in the hole(where the basements would have been) and all you can see is the cab if you were to stand on the other side of the street, who would think it was that deep. It showed some of the workers on the news hand picking bricks off the pile of twisted metal, wood, and concrete - any reason why they would do this? I hope they are not trying to salvage brick - they will be here until till next x-mas.

  6. #6redneckchevy92013-09-10 17:22

    These are a few pictures of the madness. I remember taking the dog outside around 3:30am that morning & seeing the glow in the sky over there from main st. & didn't really think much if it. Scratched my head a few times & then went back to bed.

  7. #7dirty4fun2013-09-11 04:50

    They have one of the building pretty well cleaned up. Going to be a big hole, in the ground and the city, once they are all removed.

  8. #8redneckchevy92013-09-11 12:14

    I heard through the grapevine that the restaurant that burned down wants to rebuild & make the place bigger than the original & also the credit union wants to build a bigger branch that what exists.