Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

’81 555 hydraulic tank strainer

Mikefromcny ยท 2010-08-10 02:28

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. The suction hose between the tank and pump was old and leaking. Bought a new hose and tank-pipe flange gasket for the bottom of the tank. Drained the tank and pulled lower pipe. The suction strainer was full of lint, to the point where it collapsed the strainer and split the screen. Reassembled, pump was much quieter, hydraulics are smoother and faster. Now I've got 6 hours or so since I did that. Its starting to growl a little again and I think I'll probably pull it all apart again and see if its plugged. I changed the hydraulic filter about 20 hours ago. I saw very little lint on the filter, actually looked pretty clean. Heres What I know: A good friend had a 78' with 8000+ hours, Said he had to clean his strainer every week or so if it was being used everyday. Said the lint comes from the cylinder packings, and I probably have a cylinder in need of rebuilding. How can I tell which cylinder is letting the "lint" into the system? I cant assume its plugged again without checking, And I'll post back with what I find out. Machine has 4075 hours Anyone else ever see this, I guess the 555a models went to different ram seals.

Replies1
  1. #1mitch5042010-08-15 14:27

    bought a ford 4500 once with a lint filled strainer, never new why, cleaned it out, no more problems