Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

81 International f2275 with Rockwells that don’t lock in

charles walton ยท 2012-12-03 23:25

My rears won't lock in,the trans only shifts the bottom five after you flip the locker switch but only one wheel on each axle pulls,can anyone tell me what to check?

Replies7
  1. #1mitch5042012-12-04 00:31

    I'm a little confused, does this truck have an automatic transmission? Are you sure this is supposed to be full-locker rears? Most that are full lockers have two switches, one for the interaxle differential, and another for the axle's differential. Most I've seen have only an interaxle locker, which would give you the effect you are describing. I own 2 f2375s w/ Eaton rears, and I have another truck w/ Rockwell rears, neither has full lockers.

  2. #2charles walton2012-12-04 07:19

    It has a Fuller 9 speed,what is the purpose of the inner axle lock it does'nt seem to get any better traction with it engaged.

  3. #3mitch5042012-12-04 08:42

    Your comment about the truck only shifting the bottom 5 is why I asked about the auto. It would be easy to plumb the truck that way, I just have never seen it done. An interaxle lock (sometimes called a power divider lock) locks the 2 axles together. Otherwise, you'll actually put all the power to one wheel in a slick spot. In the one truck I have w/ Rockwells, the dash control is labeled "diff lock". To check an interaxle lock, jack up either axle with both wheels off the ground, put wooden blocks under the axle so you don't break your jack, engage the lock, put the truck in gear and ease off the clutch. The truck should try to drive off the blocks. Mack rear ends have an automatic interaxle lock, and as an option have a driver controlled one, but I've never seen that on Rockwells.

  4. #4Birken Vogt2012-12-04 08:46

    It is commonly used when you need to climb something like a bank when you have to go through a ditch first. At some point the middle axle will lose most of its weight and spin. With the IAD engaged, the rear axle will push it through. As you know , you need to have traction to both ends of one or the other drive to continue.

  5. #5charles walton2012-12-04 08:58

    parts Mitch,I noticed you are in SC,do you know any yards with some old 2275's,I need some interior and trim and some braces under the hood,I hate to price the new stuff and most of the yards around Atlanta have scrapped all the older trucks.Other models will probably work too but I'm not sure.Thanks

  6. #6mitch5042012-12-04 22:49

    Don's Car Crushing in Hemingway SC has a lot of '80s IHs. I just bought a complete '87 2375, and most of another from them this summer. The bad news is, I doubt they would take stuff off and ship it to you. They are a shredding plant, but they keep a lot of stuff sitting around. It's more like you go there and pull what you want and they sell it to you cheap. The interior parts are probably common to a lot of IHs of that vintage, but the hood parts and braces, etc. will probably have to come from a 2275, since the hood length is one of the main differences between models. Good Luck, Mitch

  7. #7charles walton2012-12-04 23:53

    Thanks,I might give them a call and make a 2 or three day trip to Myrtle Beach next spring and pick up some parts while I'm there.