Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

81 International S1754 Wiring Diagram

Bubba ยท 2011-01-13 20:36

Can anybody help me with furnishing me with a Wiring Diagram for a 81 International S1754. I just bought this truck and I can't get the driver side headlight to burn when I cut the headlights on. I know I probably got a ground problem, but I not good at electrical and I got a auto electric shop that will work on it but they said if I got a wiring diagram they would fix it. I'm getting fire to the harness at the seal beam but the light burns dim. I changed the seal beam but that didn't help. The left turn signal works but when I cut the headlight switch on it stops blinking. Thanks for any help.

Replies8
  1. #1willie592011-01-13 21:14

    Single sealed beam lamp with three prongs on the backside? If so, one terminal low beam power, one terminal hi beam power, one terminal ground for both. Pull terminal connector plug from sealed beam. Turn on low beam head lamps, check terminals of plug with test light connected to good frame ground. When you find a terminal that burns the test light, note that terminal as low beam power. Turn on hi beam, same process. Now you've identified your ground (earth) terminal. If I'm not mistaken, IH used split loom to protect wiring. Start pulling harness out of split loom, and either chase ground wire down to it's termination point, or create a new termination (earth) point when harness is located at a good spot near chassis or cab.

  2. #2Bubba2011-01-13 21:32

    Thanks ATCO, I'll try that. Do you think I got a bad Light Switch or you pretty sure its the ground? I'm out of town now but I will try that Friday when I get home. I'll let you know how I come out. Have got anybody that might get me a wiring diagram? Thanks my Friend for the Reply.

  3. #3Bubba2011-01-13 21:38

    ATCO: I just remembered the plug for the seal beam has two wires going to one of the terminals and one each to the other two. I was going to replace the plug but I couldn't find one with 4 wires.

  4. #4willie592011-01-13 21:54

    Well, can't say for certain, being I'm not looking at it, but I don't think it's the switch. I'm leaning toward ground problem because the effect it has on signal lamp. Lamps searching for earth can do some weird things with electrical circuits. It's all really easy to test though. Once you determine for certain which terminal/wire is the ground on the plug, plug the connector to the lamp, turn on low beam, then take a jumper wire from clean frame ground and probe it into the ground terminal at plug. If the lamp lights brightly now, ground wire is your problem. I wouldn't fret about a 4th wire at this point. Keep it simple and start sorting through it. The 4th wire will prolly reveal it's purpose as you work through it. I've never really used a schematic for issues such as this, just noodle my way through them.

  5. #5Auctioneerhere2011-01-13 21:57

    Yes...Just "Noodle' your way through it. Thats's what I do to.

  6. #6Bubba2011-01-13 22:04

    Thanks Fellows for all your help. I sure do appreciate it. I got to be kinda simple but this dummy just ain't got enough patience. I reckon that why I never was picked for bomb disposal and being a brain surgeon. I just stick to blowing the horn and waving at the pretty people and a Locomotive Engineer. Good Night from Georgia........ Bubba

  7. #7willie592011-01-13 22:22

    Bubba...ya need to go fishin'...learn patience. Bah ha ha hahaha

  8. #8oceanobob2011-01-16 21:28

    We have a factory manual for the truck but the manual is for the 1979, but there is no way I will be able to put the information on this computer. Let me know if you must have the diagram to figure this out....