hey all. There’s an old terex coming up at an estate auction shortly, wondering if anyone can tell me a bit about them. Are parts obtainable? Been sitting for years, undercarriage looks good to the untrained eye in the pictures but it doesn’t have reverse . Engine was supposedly just rebuilt but who knows, they have turned it over but haven’t had it running. I’m not concerned about the engine or undercarriage but what about transmission and arse end, Allison trans so perhaps parts might be available but I don’t know about the finals etc. can terex parts be found these days or would it be difficult? Will be a project and only for farm use/toy, hopefully can get it for bugger all. Thanks in advance.
I have used 82-20Bs and 82-40s before but never been around the 82-50s much. If maintained well and not abused, I think all the 82-20Bs, 30Bs, and 50s were reliable. Some of the features were ahead of there time and showed up on competitive brands later on. I think I recall that when the 82-50 was replaced with the D800 there were upgrades to the final drives which may indicate that was a weak point on the 82-50. Parts availability for the undercarriages is an issue now. There is a company in Plain City, Ohio called C&C Repairs http://c-crepairs.com/ that can probably tell you what parts are available and what is becoming hard to find. If you speak to Chuck or CJ I’m sure they be willing to discuss it with you. There is also a Facebook page called Terex and Euclid Equipmnent that you could probably get some info from.
Parts for a machine that size, regardless of availability, will be $$$$$. I just spent almost $10K on undercarrage parts for a Deere 450C which is small fraction of the size of that machine.
I saw a nice 82-50 sell at Ritchie Bros. a few years ago for 16K.
What do you guys think of the undercarriage looking at the pictures? The rails almost look new to me but I’m no expert and I haven’t seen the machine in person.
From the photos..... Shoes have been re-grousered and look good. Sprockets are fcuked. Significant wear on link running surface, not sure what %. Internal pin/bush wear does not look too bad but again needs a standard to measure to. Ends of pins starting to wear which could indicate internal track link joint wear. No photos of outside of bushes so external bush wear impossible to estimate. However the state of the sprockets would lead one to believe that the outside of the bushes will also be well worn. No photos of track rollers. No photos of carrier rollers. No photos of idlers. Needs someone experienced in undercarriage wear measurement to get eyes on it IMHO, with or without the specs they ought to be able to come up with some sort of estimation. I would say from those few photos it would need a fair few $ spent on it in U/C.
As someone who knows little to nothing about tracked equipment and even less about this particular model. It all might depend on the price and how much to get it to your location. I mean if someone was to give it to me and deliver it for a few hundred and it would actually run and move I might try to convince the wife it would make a neat lawn ornament. Just a quick search seems to show it has a 12V-71 I mean even if it would not move it would be fun to fire that up to wake up the neighbors! Here is one that was sold not running in Texas about a year ago: https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/Crawler-Dozers-Terex-82-50-Crawler-Dozer-Texas/2968620 And just for fun a little history of the 82-50: https://contractormag.co.nz/classic-machines/classic-machines-terex-82-50/
Too bad it's not a 82-40. https://medford.craigslist.org/hvo/d/medford-terex-cat-parts/7178159917.html
One major issue with parts is your location says NSW. How many parts for an 82-50 do you think there would be in Australia? I could not imagine trying to scrounge parts here would be highly successful where very few ever came. See the odd 82-20 and 82-30 come up for sale from time to time.
Is that no reverse at all ? this could be something simple thats disconected . A lot of money has been spent to get it to where it is now and if the finals were dicky surely the last owners would not have spent the money they did .
Yeah I’ll see if I can get a few more pictures of the undercarriage that might help figuring out if it’s worth a crack or not. No reverse at all apparently. Parts are a concern, I’d imagine very difficult to find in Australia. Price determines most things I guess, I might have a go if it’s cheap enough.
All I see is a lot of $$$. Terex parts are the most expensive in the industry and the availability of parts for that machine would be sparse.
You need to measure the pitch in the chains. Is it seven inch, seven and a half or eight inch pitch? Sprockets don't look bad for that type of machine. Those as I recall were pointy right from the factory. There are no wear marks on the pin bosses and the space between the links is tight. The accumulators for the recoil I've heard were an issue. You put grease in the adjuster to loosen the tracks. There were a few green dozers around here when I started in the business. They were mostly gone by the mid eighties. That one will be an orphan long ago.
More pics not great though
Think you were right nige, certainly done a few hours since new. I know it’s hard to say but what kind of hours would one expect this undercarriage to last? Ultimately if it lasted 500/1000 hours it would see me out. Probably never get anywhere near 1000.
Those rock guards do not look flogged to death. Might be no oil in the engine, the ground looks too clean.
Without knowing how many hours is on the U/C right now it's impossible to say with any degree of certainty. However if all you are expecting it to last is 500-1000 hours to get a job done then in the present condition I'd say it is possible. I think the big question mark is the transmission and possibly the rear end, as per your OP. If they can't be fixed to get it running for that 500-1000 hours you are looking for, all you've bought is a boat anchor.
I’m gonna need a bigger boat than , I might end up with a big green mailbox. 500 hrs is probably more realistic, the price I have in mind I’m prepared to take a risk. 2 days left in the auction, soon find out I guess. In some respects the engine if rebuilt is probably worth what the tractor will bring. Sitting at $4250 au atm. Out of interest what hourly rate would a similar size machine earn.
Does it not have a belly pan? Undercarriage wear would be dependent on the type of soil but staying out of high gear and planning your work could help limit excessive wear.
it needs belly pans. are they missing? that undercarriage in my opinion will make 1000 hrs if high speed is totally avoided. with any steel-tracked machine, speed shortens track life drastically. if you only end up paying salvage price and eventually decide not to fix it, you may be able to get most or all of your money back by selling it complete or parting it out
Yeah it’s all there, ripping and pushing gravel is 95% of what I want to use it for.
welder dave, you must have posted a reply as i was composing mine
As I already siad in post #8 don't know `nuthin' `bout these things. But if it has an Allison transmission I would be guessing it might have a suction screen in the bottom someplace. That would be the first thing I would be wanting to pull out. If you find enough stuff in there to fill a couple coffee cups I would run from it. But before your pull that screen take a good look to see if it looks like someone already had it off and cleaned it! Being the belly pan is off I'm guessing someone has already been checking things and decided it was not worth the effort.
Don't worry about the tracks , they'll do what you want and more . What ever angle you take a picture of the pitch looks good . Belly pan not being on it is a bit of a worry , find the honest reason why thats not there and its going to be a good guide about buying it .
Well guys I don’t have to worry about it, other guy was prepared to spend more than me. $25800, probably cheap if it’s any good but more than I was willing to risk. Thanks for the replies and helping out.
Too much in my opinion. The one I saw sell at RB ran very well and had about 75% undercarriage for 16K. It looked like someone took care of it. Only thing I noticed was the blade cylinder creeped a bit.
Different countries have different prices. Here old machines sell for a lot more in other parts of the world as there is more demand and less machines available. I remember back in the 1990's one business made a good bit of $ with direct drive D8H's and D8K's, even going to far as converting power shift machines to direct drive primarily for the beef cattle sector to pull blade ploughs. Quite a few businesses here have made good money and still do buying used machines in the US and importing them.
I always love watching those videos, in almost all of of them the second they get it started they always love to pour the coals to it immediately.....If comparing that to a person, I would equate it to if you've been up snowplowing for 24 hours straight and you come home and fall asleep for three minutes and someone comes running in and shakes your awake....you have no idea what the hells going on!
I figure it like you are a sleep in your bed and it's snowing outside. Someone wakes you up and tells you the house is on fire. What do you think it will feel like half dressed and standing in the snow?