Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450C Blade Angle Pivot Repairs

Metalman 55 · 2020-09-03 17:27

Started into the Case 450C Blade angle pivot repairs today, where the bottom pivot bushing was GONE, so things were quite sloppy to say the least! Decided to salvage the main pivot pin be cause of $$$, so got it off & did some manual wear buildup with my mig welder & then some carefull grinding...…..not perfect, but it will tighten things up 95% I am sure. New bushings for the angle pivot going in too.

Replies14
  1. #1Metalman 552020-09-03 20:21

    There was originally a retainer plate on the bottom of the pivot pin with a keeper that kept it from rotating & that was missing, so we were able to yank the pin right out the top with the nut being left on! The bottom bushing had made an exit at one point as well, so things were pretty sloppy down there! Filled in some weld to tighten up the bottom hole where the bushing was.

  2. #2Metalman 552020-09-04 16:55

    Installed new bushings in the angle pivot after the welding & grinding on the main pin was done to tighten things up some. Note the redneck bushing puller in the one picture using an old mower blade for a washer when pulling it in! Kinda crude but it worked.

  3. #3Metalman 552020-09-05 04:32

    Ended up welding up the somewhat oblong holes in the pin bosses for the blade angle frame to which the tilt cylinder is anchored too, then cleaning up with an internal grinder. Pins have some wear too, but decided against replacing them because of $$$ on an old machine. Replaced both bushing sets in the tilt cylinder ends too, so that should tighten things up nicely.

  4. #4Metalman 552020-09-06 07:07

    The bottom bushing in the angle pivot was long gone before I owned the machine & the hole was very egg shaped, so I welded it up the best I could & ground it as round as I could get it, still not perfect so I welded the bushing in place. An old machine so I doubt of it will ever wear out for my use. All back on now & the assembly is MUCH tighter & its on to some work on the moldboard while it is still off.

  5. #5Metalman 552020-09-08 17:37

    Back at it today...… Drilled out where bolts were broken in blind holes at the blade tilt guides. All drilled & re-tapped out now. Now welding up the bottom of the moldboard where someone made a mess of lengthening the bottom, grinding out bad welds & re welding it properly. They had extended it too long so once welded properly I will plasma off about 5/8" so the cutting edge sticks down as it should. Back at it tomorrow!!

  6. #6Bls repair2020-09-08 19:33

    Nice make it work fix.

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2020-09-09 21:56

    Looks like you did a good job. I'll send all my blade work up your way.

  8. #8Vetech632020-09-10 07:25

    How is your relationship advise?

  9. #9Coy Lancaster2020-09-10 08:28

    Haha I’m like the moon don’t ask me things like that I’m just hanging here

  10. #10Metalman 552020-09-10 17:10

    Onto some cancer surgery for the carrier roller pedestal which was bad when I bought the machine a few months back. The main structure looks great once cleaned & so does the recoil spring. Handle with CARE with that loaded spring!!

  11. #11Metalman 552020-09-11 16:59

    This is how we pulled the front idler ahead to free up the recoil spring assembly to get it out. Then onto the cancer surgery for the roller pedestals. Just need some paint now. Good as new??

  12. #12Metalman 552020-09-14 16:47

    Finished the carrier roller pedestal repairs, painted the compartmentalized spring assembly, then noticed that maybe the some attention should be given to the part that retains the spring, so cut a segment from 6" sch 40 pipe & cut out the old rotten part & welded the patch in & it fit just right! Got both sides back together with fresh gr. 8 bolts! Too cheap to buy new assemblies, but if the need arises in the near future they should pop out quite easily.

  13. #13Metalman 552020-09-14 16:55

    Then added these reinforcements to the bottom of the blade where the old ones were about worn off, so bent some 3/4" diam round bar & welded them on which should give some added protection. Then mounted the cutting edge back on while it was on the work bench...…..no bending over!!

  14. #14Metalman 552020-09-15 13:32

    All back together now & the blade is 95% tighter! Was an interesting project.