Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

’82 JD 550 Dozer Problem…

Temu ยท 2008-05-23 17:36

You guys were FULL of help (slope and sidehill issues-help!) last time I needed you...maybe this time as well? My neighbor has a JD 550 that runs great engine wise, but will not move. He is looking to sell it the way it is and buy something more useful to his ranching needs (small Kubota with all the attachments). He said he's sure it's the trans, but has no idea what. All he mentioned was that he tried to adjust the pressure relief valve to no avail... So, who out there in this awesome site of equipment knowledge is familiar with this model? Any inherent problems with these transmissions? Any tips on what to look for or quick tests to run to pin-point a certain area? After my project, it seems I have a hunger for my own dozer now.

Replies4
  1. #1OneWelder2008-05-23 20:37

    The Early model 550 JD had a lot of trans problems. You need to find out more history on the machine. Some of the problems are not to bad, others are very expensive. Find out if steering clutches & brakes have been working properly. Find out if the trans was serviced regularly- and if any water in it. Also and most importantly- under the operator seat there is a Hyd. filter, remove and cut open pleats - any signs of metal is VERY BAD!

  2. #2Temu2008-05-24 10:33

    Thanks OneWelder... will check those things out next trip up. I don't have any history on it yet, just some "over the fence" neighbor talk that piqued my interest. I heard those things have about a million different drain plugs underneath?:beatsme

  3. #3OneWelder2008-05-24 15:22

    I think there is 5 or 6 drain plugs,and it probably holds 30 gals. Should be data plate to tell you for sure. You do not need to drain system to change filter But if you do- check the pickup screen. You access on right side of trans looking in between belly pan and frame - there will be a flange plate held on with 3 or 4 bolts 3/8 (9/16 head) I would check the filter first - I think less than $20. from J D - if there is metal in it, it is costly- and time to take a hike!

  4. #4Temu2008-05-28 15:28

    Got some more information OneWelder... Owner said it was working fine, serviced regularly, etc. Steering, brakes, all OK, no water in fluid. He mentioned that when it started failing, he was able to get it back to the shop...but only by driving it in reverse (?). Curious to see how the filter checks out now, wasn't able to find the time to pull it out yet as he is fairly busy lately trying to keep his property fire season safe. Thanks for everything...will post again when I get the filter diagnosis.