Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

821 Case Payloader transmission

Jake Erickson · 2023-11-20 18:20

I’ve got an 821 (plain) loader. Had 1st gear solenoid go out twice on it in the past. Today while working 1,2,3 gears quit working. Drove it to the shop and when I got there they all worked again. It was intermittent so I parked it, I’m almost certain it’s electrical causing the solenoids to fail and now 1,2,3. Anyone have any experience with these old machines? It’s the Zf transmission. Not sure where to even look or what to do.

Replies5
  1. #1Bigbert2023-11-23 14:21

    Hi Jake I'm not so familiar with the English language. However it sounds to me you are losing power intermittendly in 1,2,3. 4th is okay? So it looks like solenoid M3 (Y3) for KV clutch not getting powered. Please check voltage at Canon plug on top of control valve. Port D is for M3 (Y3)

  2. #2Jake Erickson2023-11-30 00:28

    Thank you for the response!

  3. #3Jvandervlucht2024-05-11 19:12

    I have just purchased a 821b that won’t move in any gear they replaced forward reverser with no luck is there any safety devices that would cause the loader to not move in any gear forward or reverse?

  4. #4Bigbert2024-05-12 06:42

    Hi Jvandervlucht, is it a ZF 4 WG180 transmission? Please get us a picture of gear switch. Just to learn which type of transmission control is fitted. The forward reverser is the gear switch?

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2024-05-13 18:50

    Should have the ZF shifter with a shift module behind the operators seat. There are a number of different things that could keep the loader from moving. For example, the brake pressure could be low and the shift module won't let trans engage, the shifter could be faulty or trans could be out of fluid, be sure and put 15/40 diesel engine oil to refill trans check with engine running.