Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

821B stuck in first

Brian DeMark · 2022-01-20 22:51

I have a CASE 821B and it is stuck in first gear, reverse works fine. I had a few times when using it where all the sudden all gears would work fine without any issue and then randomly it will act up again. now it won't come out of first at all. I had case dealer send a tech and he didn't really test much and said he thinks it's the gear selector to the knock down button but couldn't really tell us. any help is appreciated

Replies7
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2022-01-21 12:19

    It's possible that the gear selector is bad but there needs to be more test done before condemning anything. If you have a service manual there are procedures to test he gear selector and the solenoids in the trans control valve. There is also a trans control module behind seat in blower area that needs to be checked also.

  2. #2Bigbert2022-01-21 14:49

    Fully agree with Coy. Not sure what would happen if kickdown button got stuck. Button which is fitted on front end of gear switch. ZF 4WG180 transmission? If you need a manual let me know.

  3. #3Brian DeMark2022-01-21 21:58

    ok, I went to the dealer today to get some more into. service said they couldn't test the issue because it didn't happen when he was there. so, I explained how it only happens when its warm, so he told me its probably a relay and told me to get it doing it and swap some relays around to see if it fixes the issue.

  4. #4Brian DeMark2022-01-21 21:59

    yes I do need a manual that would be awesome, I can pay. thanks you so much

  5. #5Bigbert2022-01-22 04:51

    Hi Brian, there are no relays between gear selector, TCU and solenoids. See the manual in PM and come back if you need more details.

  6. #6Brian DeMark2022-01-22 10:52

    Hey, thank you got the manual. I appreciate that. Not being to mechanic friendly I was able to read and understand somethings about that. However, Unless I missed it I didn’t see any problem solving issues. Also I see you said there is no relay that would cause this issue. In your recommendation where should I start?

  7. #7Bigbert2022-01-22 11:54

    Hi Brian, I'd strip the steering column plastics (if there are any) to get access to the plug from gear selector (DW2?) to wiring harness. Might be a mate-n-lock type. Just be sure: It is a ZF 4WG180 with DW2 selector and TCU EST17 or 25? So, as soon as you get the issue, check whether signals on plug change or not when moving selector. See the diagram of a DW2, clearer than in English manual (see it as a German language training ) colours of wires sw= schwarz=black gn=grün=green bl=blau= blue vi=violet rt=rot= red ge=gelb=yellow rs=rosa=pink gr=grau=grey good luck