Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

83-86 John Deere 410b backhoe steering cylinder removal.

Dragons Tooth · 2024-02-04 09:19

I'm trying to remove the hydraulic steering cylinder on a 410 b. John Deere backhoe. SN# 705741 Someone has already broken the gland nut on the end so disassembly in the field is not possible. There is a large kingpin that attaches the hydraulic cylinder to the axle underneath the frame near the main axle kingpin. I can't seem to get the axle to articulate enough to be able to pull that pin up. It's about 3 in long and I can only get it up about 2 and 1/4 in. Do I have to remove the axle and drop it to be able to get this pin out or is there another trick I'm missing.

Replies2
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-02-04 17:18

    Axle will have to come out. FYI, if you have the large front counterweight, it’s about 680 lbs.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2024-02-05 11:02

    Cut that pin off, get the rest out and put a new pin in from the bottom. Have that done in an hour vs dropping axle.