Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

84 410b turbo 4×4 no hydraulics

tomfitzy ยท 2013-05-31 14:15

Please help. I was using my backhoe all day, shut it off, started it back up and now have no hydraulics. If I rev the engine, I can move the rear bucket , but barely. I replaced the hydraulic filter, checked fluid, checked destroking solenoid on hydrsulic pump, checked screen in priority valve. What can I do before assuming the hydraulic pump went bad?

Replies18
  1. #1Delmer2013-05-31 18:32

    Check the couplers and rubber cushion between the engine and the pump. This has a hydraulic pump with the charge pump on the front of it right? Check the charge pressure, vacuum on suction side, and pump pressure. Check for any rubber hoses in the suction side of the pump. Do you have power steering? or does this one have separate PS pump?

  2. #2tomfitzy2013-05-31 22:27

    The pump is in front and its spinning with engine. It controls the steering because that's gone too. Thank you for your help.

  3. #3Delmer2013-05-31 22:54

    That hydraulic pump has two sections, the front one is the charge pump. The charge pump sucks oil from the tank, and pumps it up to a low pressure to fill the main hydraulic pump, which pumps it up to the full system pressure. If there is air leaking into the supply line, neither pump will be able to fill with oil and won't work. You could try adding a little air pressure to the tank to see if that helps the pumps "prime", or just check the suction side for leaks. Checking the pressures is the obvious next step. Other possibilities are either pump could be failed, or possibly there's a big internal leak that's keeping the pressure from building.

  4. #4tomfitzy2013-06-01 06:53

    The transmission feeds the fluid to it. It's hydraulic too. That is pumping fine. Thanks

  5. #5tomfitzy2013-06-02 14:02

    Should I take hydraulic pump off and apart? Is there anything else it can be before I do?

  6. #6Delmer2013-06-02 14:16

    Yes, you can check the pressures. Assuming you have good charge pressure, and low output pressure you could "deadhead" the output to rule out a major leak. And there's still the "pressure compensating dohickymajober" valve on the pump (I think? mine's different model) Or you can pull the pump and pull it apart, it's not too complicated at all, the parts are pretty self explanatory, and available.

  7. #7tomfitzy2013-06-02 14:29

    There is no other valve on it, just the destroking solenoid. There's a t handle shutoff thing which I looked at , nothing wrong with it. How would I check the pressures? I am drawing a blank, I can't remember if the pump should sound like its whini g or something, its spinning with engine, but I don't hear any humming from it. Thanks for the help

  8. #8Delmer2013-06-02 14:40

    I don't know for sure, mine is a different model, but it looks like there's a "stroke control valve" plugged into the bottom of the pump, AND a charge gear pump on the same shaft mounted on the front of the radial piston pump. Probably no way to do anything to the stroke control valve from underneath with the pump in place, but maybe? Definitely worth checking the charge pump (if there is one!) http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt Is this your pump or is yours different?

  9. #9tomfitzy2013-06-02 15:33

    Mine is the serialized one. Here is link. Thank you http://m.jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servle...alog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt#mw_pdp

  10. #10tomfitzy2013-06-02 15:36

    Mine is the serialized one. Here is link. Thank you the link takes you to search. Type in 410b. Go to main hydraulic system Then cluck on serialized pump. That's the one I have. http://m.jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servle...alog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt#mw_pdp

  11. #11Delmer2013-06-03 00:03

    From what I see, the serialized pump still has a charge/gear pump on the front of a radial piston pump. From my limited experience with JD radial pumps, they have some sort of pressure control valve that raises the crankcase pressure to reduce the output volume, if this were to stick open it would essentially shut the pump off. I have NO idea if this happens ever or often. Maybe somebody has actual experience with a similar problem or a more similar model. Or you could post a picture of your pump and the hoses going into it, and I can keep guessing.

  12. #12tomfitzy2013-06-03 17:03

    here are some pics thank you i think strange hard to add pics

  13. #13tomfitzy2013-06-03 17:10

    here are better pics

  14. #14Delmer2013-06-03 22:57

    The section with the eight large hex plugs (closest to the engine) is the high pressure section, the middle section is the "control" section, and the front section is the charge/gear pump. The T handle should be the manual destroke, and it looks like there should be a "stroke control valve" on the bottom of that section directly under the T handle/manual destroke. That's all I can say. It's probably time to get a technical manual. They're not cheap, but a hydraulic pump isn't either, especially if a new one still doesn't work. I don't see any test ports like on mine, but maybe there are some. The JDparts diagram showed the hoses going to a filter, maybe there are medium pressure test ports there? Otherwise the technical manual will tell you exactly where to test and what the pressures should be.

  15. #15tomfitzy2013-06-08 22:10

    Ok. In searching for a Manuel. Want to make sure I get the correct one. Tom

  16. #16tomfitzy2013-06-09 13:30

    manuel destroke I removed the manuel destroker Does it look normal? Is it broken off? Or is this metal to metal contact normal?

  17. #17tomfitzy2013-06-10 19:24

    It actually looks normal. Back to the drawing board

  18. #18tomfitzy2013-06-12 22:01

    Any more help ? Please.