Hello all! I've recently purchased a used 1984 John Deere 410BB backhoe loader. It's in reasonable condition, the hoe is very strong, the front bucket is strong, and the engine starts very easily, runs well. So that's good. The problem I have: Right now it's snowy - we have about 2 feet of snow - it's wet, heavy, but good to train me on how to use the machine, so that's what I wanted to do. Now, all I'm doing is using the machine in 1st, no clutch, reverser for forward/reverse. I drive the rig with bucket set to load snow, and can push it a ways - about 10 feet, and then the backhoe cannot push any futher. I'd expect the wheels to slip, but they do not. It simply cannot go forward. Last night I had the problem to a great extent where it would not go forward at all, but reverse still worked, just not that well. Also, it take about 5 seconds to engage forward - eg going from neutral to forward on the 'reverser' you have to be patient. Reverse is not that way, going from neutral to reverse is nearly immediate. This is on a cold machine - it's 32F here now, that might contribute to the problem. Things I can tell - the hydraulic fluid is in two separate chambers - one for the clutch and reverser; this one is overfull, and another reserve for the hydraulics in general - this is the differential. Both of these have filler/dipsticks underneath an access panel opposite the entrance of the cab. The linkage to the clutch looks to be right to the point of a hydralic valve - just below the fuel tank. On mine, the fuel tank is just in front of the steering wheel. I don't have a Park/High/Low, just a parking brake. Not sure what else to say or describe - my knowledge of these machines is limited to what I've learned this afternoon so far! thanks, Jack
You say the trans resevoir is overfull so it probably has a good amount of water in it. Change the fluid first. Then you can pressure tap it
Okay, so I've found that the reverser reservoir is checked when hoe is running. it wasn't overfull, was just right. now it's not snowy/muddy, I'm working on it again. I've drained the reverser, found small bits of stuff and sparklies in there. I think it might be gone - but can anyone tell me if a "little" metal in the reverser oil is normal or not. Comparatively speaking the amount of oil on the pan looks about the same as what you'd get out of a just run brand new briggs engine - you know, just rebuilt? anyway, it's not a lot, but it does have me concerned. Should I be?
as closure on this: I had to replace the reverser. the clutches were destroyed in the original. The REALLY nice thing about the 410B is the separation of the main hydraulic system from the reverser hydraulics. that machine is still in service today!
Wow, you must really be laid back, getting back to this thread more than a decade later. Whooo hooo.
I guess no news is good news.