Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580E Potential Problem

C15TA ยท 2014-01-11 18:47

I am a little worried about a potential hydraulic problem on my new to me 580E Case backhoe. I used a plastic gas can to fill the low hydraulic system. This can is only used for hydraulic fluid. A piece of the yellow plastic spout about the size of a fingernail broke off and stayed in the hydraulic tank. When I started the machine the hydraulic light came on right away. I got a new filter put I am reluctant to put it on until I get some advise from some of the forum members. What's my best plan?? Thanks, Barry

Replies4
  1. #1willie592014-01-11 21:42

    Welcome to HEF C15TA. :drinkup To my knowledge, that hyd indicator lamp is operated by a pressure switch on the return line filter, indicates a clogged/restricted filter. If that's the case, and if your plastic piece managed to go through the pump, through lines, and through control valve to wind up at tank return filter, then it would have already passed through all the meat of the system. About all you could do is remove the filter and the lines/fittings connected to the filter head and inspect the filter head ports for signs of the plastic fragment. If the fragment is not causing the problem, and it instead remains in the tank, I don't know how you'd manage to get it out as the reservoir is the machine frame. I don't see where you have an option other than run the machine and hope for the best.

  2. #2Goose2014-01-11 23:57

    I agree with willie59 that little piece of plactic would be hard to find and wouldnt do much damage. You could check the filter, housing and fittings at the filter for it and that maybe what set off the filter light but if the oil is cold the warning light will come on for awhile do the the oil being to thick to go through the filter like it does when warmer.

  3. #3frogfarmer2014-01-12 09:15

    Should be a strainer screen between the tank and pump to catch anything of size. Also the plastic should float in the oil. The light is from something else possibly the oil installed was too thick at your temp. Don't give the plastic a second thought. I have pulled all kinds of plastic funnels, container seals, container caps, and straws from hyd reservoirs none of which caused any problems. If it were a bag that's a whole different problem. Bags can and will clog pump intakes leading to no function of hydraulics and possible damage.

  4. #4C15TA2014-01-12 15:27

    Thanks for the responses guys, I feel a little better now. I will change the filter, that should have been done already, and see what happens. I will cut the old one open and check it out. I wondered about adding a screen in the line to the pump but as frogfarmer says maybe there is one already. It was really cold when I tried it so maybe the cold fluid also made a difference. This machine needs tons of work so I don't want to add to it by doing something stupid. Regards, Barry