Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

84 Case 350 1st gear lockout?

hvguy ยท 2016-09-11 18:12

I recently picked up this loader for a pretty good deal ($1400) However it blew up a hydraulic hose when testing, and it needs a rebuild.. basically a bunch of easy things. My problem is that since this is my first large'ish' machine, I have no idea the shift pattern on the transmission. He said it has high and low; or in my opinion fast and too fast. After poking around I found a shift patter decal for this loader that says that 1st gear from neutral is right-> up^ however its like there is something locking it out of 1st no matter how unsafely hard I push. 2nd and 3rd work fine. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Maybe the shifter pushed the pawl opposite of 1st so now theres nothing for it to grab... although if that were true, the shifter would fall into the 1st position but nothing would happen... Im stumped.

Replies4
  1. #1hvguy2016-09-11 18:17

    Since im new I cant edit my post to fix the

  2. #2hvguy2016-09-11 23:11

    I think ill pull the shifter and shifter housing and try to figure it out. That wont be for a few weeks tho.

  3. #3thebaz2016-09-13 09:41

    Hi, I had a 310G which was the last 310 model before the 350 was released. The 310 was almost identical except for having a clutch and direct drive instead of a torque converter and power shuttle. the 310 had basically the same transmission after the power shuttle. You are correct about the pattern, right and forward is 1st, left and forward is 2nd and left and rearward is 3rd. The 310 had reverse to the right and rearward and I am not sure if reverse was removed from the 350 or just blocked so it was not available. 2nd gear is definitely two high for general use whereas 1st gear will give you quite a bit of pushing power for a machine of that size. $1400 was an absolute bargain. I sold mine in 1987 for $10,000.

  4. #4hvguy2016-09-13 19:54

    cool, ill start simple and pull the shifter column out and see whats going on. Fingers crossed I dont have to pull the entire tranny and fix a possible broken fork or anything of that nature.