Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Balance shafts

Flhr62 ยท 2016-09-12 11:39

Bought a Cat reman 3304 long block. Trying to get it back together. Need both balance shafts. Cat shafts are about $425 a piece. Looks like I can get after market for a little over $100. I don't want to have to tear into again any time soon , but it's getting kind of expensive. Should I stick with Cat parts or go after market?

Replies3
  1. #1Brodiesel2016-09-12 15:51

    I would go aftermarket for the balance shafts.

  2. #2tctractors2016-09-12 16:01

    The 2 Lanchester shafts are different part numbers as the gear tooth direction changes, I have fitted O.E. and after market without any issues, they do spin at x2 crank speed but to all intents they are just a length of bar with some of it missing, I would save your coins, the other day I built up a 3306DI using a new after market block,crank,cam pistons, liners the only thing OM CAT was the rods and head, the head had after market guides, valves and springs, the injectors came from CAT Re-Man and the turbo was reworked by a Turbo outlet, the motor Purred. tctractors

  3. #3Flhr622016-09-13 16:06

    Thanks. Any particular after market you would recommend?