Hey Yall, I'm new to this forum. I have a leaking axle seal on my 843 Bobcat. I was wondering how involved it is to replace the seals, what special tools I may need... Thanks in advance. Merril.
if you have the original 1 piece axle, there is a special tool required to install the seal, if the axle has been replaced with the 2 piece design, theres a special tool that centers the seal on the axle, and sets it at the proper depth in the axle tube. seals can be installed without it. front or rear axle? :drinkup
How is your axle endplay? If you jack the machine up, does the wheel slide in and out at all. if move just a little, you could probably get buy doing just seals, but any more I would recommand doing bearing. If it is the one piece style, that is a project requiring the axleshaft to removed. Front is not bad, but the rear is a real treat. If you have the two piece style, loosen, but don't remove the axle nut. Install a large puller, I use a 10 ton. Take a torch and heat around the keyway and wack with a big hammer. If the hub is "captured by the axle nut and washer, it can easily shoot 20' when it releases. I found this out the hard way.
Thanks for the response. It is the rear axle. I was reading into it in the destruction manual, and it was saying to break the drive chain and use a porta-power with shims to push out the axle from the inside. I was wondering if this was really necessary or there was some other way to remove shaft. Thank you all again. Merril
rear axles are sooooooo much fun heres what i would do. steam clean the entire machine set the machine on stands, remove the wheel where the axle is leaking arms up, cab up, remove the steering levers and linkage, loosen, or remove, the front pump mounts, and possibly remove the hyd pump. remove the chaincase covers remove the sprocket retainer bolt, it's f*n tight, and probably loctited put a bottle jack between the axle flange and the frame, press the axle out remove the outer bearing and seal, check the axle seal surface for damage. if the axle is salvagable new seal goes on 1st, new outer bearing this is a special tool used to install the seal as the shaft is pulled back in. if the axle is junk, bite the bullet and buy a new axle, hub, seal and hub retainer with the new style axle, install the axle, seal installs from the outside. or get out your checkbook and pay the bobcat dealer to do it for you, i'd guessitimate you'll be looking at $1200 in labor alone :drinkup
Old post....I am looking for information on the same unit. I have one leaky axle seal, it's the front left axle. I believe I still have single piece axle seals, but haven't torn it apart yet. My question is how much end play is too much? I anticipated a specification in the manual, but could not locate one.