Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

85/86 580se

JLMasse(Mickey) ยท 2011-10-25 13:57

I had problem with the steering on my newly acquired "old backhoe"... steering was responding a little but very poorly.... brought the tractor to the heavy machinery shop.... they told me that it was the packing on the left power steering cylinder.... got that fixed.... + had them change oil + grease + fuel filters + filters.... so $900. later I get the backhoe back.... took it home to test before actually risking getting into tight spot... and just moving some sand/gravel around.... hmmmm within 10 mins... I now have a bent !!! yes "bent" power steering cylinder... as the end blew off and on a turn "I guess" the other side was strong enough to bend this one.... now I'll try to have them admit that their packing job was faulty...therefore causing the damage to the cylinder ??? not sure how that will go.... anyone has a good place to get a operator manual for this backhoe.... there is no Case (industrial) dealer in this area.... so internet maybe ???

Replies11
  1. #1Goose2011-10-25 22:11

    It sounds like the steering cylinders were not adjusted correctly in relation to the full steering stops and when you went into a full hard turn the spindle stops hit and the cylinder still had some stroke left and it bowed the rod.

  2. #2alrman2011-10-25 22:51

    Here is the service manual info re adjustment. The pic on left says 2.7" - pic on right - even I can see!

  3. #3JLMasse(Mickey)2011-10-26 08:46

    Thanks, Goose and Alrman, looks like you got it on the head..... adjustment !!! make sense to me now.... thanks again... Cheers, Mickey

  4. #4case 580sm2011-10-26 17:03

    Repar Hey I hope that then dealer is paying for the repairs. Good luck, Oz 580 sm pilots

  5. #5JLMasse(Mickey)2011-10-26 18:25

    I'll be talking to the Manager tomorrow... the Mechanics was telling me today that "I" had to have been really rough on the Machine etc.... so I let them blame me for the damage to see what would they come up with... then I told them about the discussion from this forum and I had printed out the page that Alrman had posted... you should of seen their face..... backpaddle... backpaddle....lol -- but the manager was not there....so I'll see tomorrow tks guys.... great forum.... Cheers, Mickey

  6. #6JLMasse(Mickey)2011-10-27 09:32

    Excellent... just talked with the manager from the shop I had taken it in....nice gentleman...no argument at all.... he is putting a new cylinder ... no cost to me. Nice to see a shop that admits that sometimes mistake happens and then fix the problem.... I'll be going there again for sure... hopefully not too often...lol tks everyone for your help.... I am still looking for a operator manual and a maintenance manual... Cheers, Mickey

  7. #7case 580sm2011-10-27 17:34

    Hey Good to hear that you didn't get hasseled on this. If you have a case dealer around where you live you should probably go there for a maintenance, and a manual for your machine. If not go to this website- www.jrbrisson.com scroll down to you'll see blue letters. It says Case parts calalog there's parts, and service cataloges that you can get there. Have fun with the machine! Oz 06 580sm pilots

  8. #8JLMasse(Mickey)2011-10-27 19:54

    Tks Oz, sadly there is no Case industrial dealer around here, I did check with few other dealers to order the books but somehow... unless you buy the machine there.... they do not feel like you are a customer so they take your info and tell you that they will try to find prices and call me with info.... which they never do.... I just moved from Cambridge where there is lots of dealers(around Toronto) to a very rural community where I love the area but have to fit in which for many reasons I just appreciate but for some of the stuff.... like this.... it would be nice to be closer to a bigger city.... but internet makes things much easier...I will order on line ... probably from Brisson.... tks again.... cheers, Mickey

  9. #9Goose2011-10-27 20:48

    Glad to hear the dealer admited to their little booboo and are taking care of you like they should. I can check monday and see if I have any extra operator/maintenance manuals for your machine.

  10. #10JLMasse(Mickey)2011-10-27 22:27

    tks Goose Cheers, Mickey

  11. #11case 580sm2011-10-30 19:44

    No problem mickey I got my machine at brisson so I know how to get everything. There are the case dealer in eastern Ontario with equipment that sparkle your eyes. I also know what you mean by not getting contacted by them when the time is right. Hope everything works out.