Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

850K won’t move flashing F

jaceon ยท 2016-01-25 15:16

2005 Case 850K w/ enclosed cab We pulled it in the shop, changed the filter. Afterwards it fired up for my guy but wouldn't move. What I know/ have checked. Parking light and gear light are always on. It only starts with the parking levers down and I can hear the relay working when I move them so I know they work The dash blinks F (forward) with codes 4532 & 4531 If I unplug the 6 pin joystick, then it has an always on (N) neutral with only the code 4533 The speed % gauge is always buried on 0. (doesn't move even if I try to bump it up or down) The two power wires (19c's) show 12.5v with everything plugged in and the ground is testing good as well. The two communication lines in the 6 pin joystick connector test 120 ohms unless I turn the key on then it drops to like -30 with everything plugged in. I'm just a semi mechanic (don't know tons about hydraulics) but seems like a randomly failed joystick? The silly thing is we just pulled it in to change filters and such. I read up some on the GaryHoff/Vcat post and this is where I'm at so far. Didn't know if any of this (my CASE specific) info would be a give away to any of you with more dozer knowledge. Thanks for any help

Replies3
  1. #1GaryHoff2016-01-30 01:47

    I would suggest that your joystick has failed, faults 4532, and 4531 almost always indicate a internal issue in the joystick. You have power and CAN at the joystick, so wiring should be ok. (Dont test ohms with the key on, as its bad for your multimeter.) Sometimes what happens is there is a voltage spike when starting the engine, and it kills the joystick. Case had a "fix as fail" bulliton for this issue. Not sure why your machine only starts with the safety levers down. Does it start with just one down, or both need to be down?

  2. #2jaceon2016-01-30 14:37

    The safety levers are working as they should, I must have worded that wrong. I guess all roads were leading to it being a joystick. Once I seen the 2K price tag I was just strongly hoping it was something simple and I'm a man of logic so was hoping since we didn't mess with it, it should still be good.. right? =) but we went ahead and changed it as you suggested and sure enough.... it was bad. Also thanks for your explanation on a possible cause. At least that gives me a little peace of mind on what may have happened. I was told our mechanic did change out the easy to get to battery and didn't realize there was another battery under the cab. Maybe he used a rouge high voltage battery charger or shorted something or.... something while doing that. I'll ask him Monday. Thanks again Gary

  3. #3GaryHoff2016-01-31 20:58

    Good to hear you got it fixed. Thanks for updating us on what was wrong.