Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

853v753v1845c

lostinfrance ยท 2007-04-01 17:00

Hi first attempt so go gently on me! Im looking into buying one of the above machines to help out on the farm. Briefly looking at specs the 753 is the smallest physically and lifts the least, 1845 biggest and lifts the most the853 seems to fit in the middle. I want the machine to move cow muck,bales of hay (round 300kg)silage (round300+) big squares of straw and anything which may get in the way. Any thoughts on which is the best machine for my needs? Is maintenance of the machines very much the same? One minor point do bobcat lift arms suffer from fatique from heavy lifting?:notworthy

Replies16
  1. #1wrenchbender2007-04-01 17:11

    I have customer that has both the 753 & 853 and has been running them in his concrete biz for a couple of years now. The 753 has had a few hyd, leaks but no real problems. Both have had the alternators replaced at least twice one of them 3 times. The 853 is more machine than the 753 and it shows it on the ground. As for as lift arms I've never heard of a problem with them. I can't offer any info on the 1845 as I have not worked on one of those as of yet.

  2. #2bobcatuser2007-04-01 19:03

    I would lean toward buying the brand of equipment with the best dealer support. Also when buying used equipment research what the previous owner used it for. I would stay away from ex-rental machines or equipment used in demolition. Before buying, get a mobile mechanic to come out to do an inspection.

  3. #3pushcat2007-04-01 19:27

    Personally I would go with the 1845C, they are virtually indestructable. We had one for years and did everything from demolition to fine grading with it and never had one major failure, just simple regular maintainance issues. Traded it in on 287B Cat. Old worn out Case would run circles around the new Cat. Bobcats don't seem balanced and as comfortable to run to me, just my opinion.

  4. #4stumpjumper832007-04-01 20:01

    Here in lancaster county, pennsylvania two machines rule the barn yard, case 1840 and the 1845c. Same cummings 4-390 engines, one is just turned up a little bit more than the other. The case machines are nice for confined space use because of the squareness of their design, they are just a little longer than they are wide. Due to that they seem to like slopes less that other designs with a longer wheelbase. Some have mechanical self leveling with interferes with some attachments, but not the ones that you describing. Try to find a grey cab machine or a machine with the single lap bars as they are the later and stronger models. the 1840 and 1845c were in production for the better part of 20 years. Maintence wise, grease you pins, watch you fluids, and keep an eye on the water pump tensioner and fan belt system. I've seen several over 10k in hours and still in use, good luck with whatever you decide

  5. #5Countryboy2007-04-01 22:28

    Welcome to HEF lostinfrance! :drinkup

  6. #6KSSS2007-04-01 23:44

    The 1845C machines are tough to beat. Their value shows in their resale. good condition machines are bringing high prices on the used market. 1995 models and newer are your best machines.

  7. #7lostinfrance2007-04-03 14:59

    Looks like its the 1845 does anyone have an operators manual that i could have a copy of?:notworthy

  8. #8stumpjumper832007-04-03 18:57

    You can order them right from case ih's web site.

  9. #9lostinfrance2007-04-06 15:59

    had a look at the website cant find a thing about operators manuals etc can you give me a clue where to look:Banghead

  10. #10stumpjumper832007-04-06 18:06

    go to www.dmcpubs.com enter the model number, and select language then search. :bash

  11. #11PSDF3502007-04-06 21:52

    All I get is you have reached this page in error

  12. #12stumpjumper832007-04-07 10:48

    ok, let me try to get the link to work, tried to go all the way in but apparently it doesnt linke that try this http://www.caseih.com/parts/parts.aspx?&navid=123&RL=ENNA&typeid=143 your going to have to click on the words "right here" in the bottom right of the text.

  13. #13lostinfrance2007-04-09 04:40

    found it thankyou:drinkup

  14. #14tdburnette2008-09-07 20:57

    go with the 753

  15. #15Bentworker22008-09-07 23:40

    The 1845C is a great simple machine, if you have the chance pick one up. I have the smaller 1835C with the Continental diesel, it isn't great, it isn't horrible. If for some reason you come across a 1835C I would make sure of three things 1) Low hours. 2) Low price. 3) Modern quick attach. I paid 3K for mine, that was with a nearly destroyed 4-n-1 bucket, it ran but smoked heavily and had 2400 hours of total abuse (when I bought it in 07 it still had the original air cleaner dated 1987 in it). It was owned by a concrete contractor that had had it since new and had not done ANY maintenance to it. Now I have a little less than 7K total into it, that includes purchasing it, rebuilding the bucket, totally rebuilding the engine, a new hose, a couple new lines, new muffler and a few other goodies. Since I tore it down this past winter to do all that work I have put about 180 hours on it with no problems, but is still looks like hell and is missing all safety interlocks, so I will probably loose a grand or two when it is time to sell. Peter

  16. #16dngrdave20002009-01-19 16:51

    Love my 1845C's