Anyone know much about the older case 1845's (not 1845c)? Just bought one about 3 weeks ago but have not been able to use it much due to frozen ground - couldn't do much with it on non-disturbed ground (red dirt), but was able to work with dirt that has been piled up a while. Was told that you can't do much with skidsteer in frozen dirt. Not blaming the equipment of course, I'm new to the skidsteer learning process, seems to be a good running machine and was reasonable (older model 1976?) - any opinions?
Are you sure it is as old as a 1976?? I have an 1840, not an 1840C & it we bought it new in 1994. The 1840's & 1845's that I have been around seem very durable. To cut in the harder ground, we use a bolt on tooth bar. All it takes is two bolts to hold it in place. When trying to backblade a yard or clean a street, I just take it off. You should be able to find one at your Case dealer, or from the internet. The first thing I would do is change all of the fluids & filters, including the air filters.
thanks for the reply... it does have bolt on tooth bar now, but ground must have been frozen - have you had trouble like this or heard of this - I thought it would dig but it would not and was told by other equipment owners that if ground is frozen it will not dig very well at all. Was told by local dealer that according to ser. # it was a 76, runs like a new one though. Do you have approx. idea what one as this might be worth?
I have had that problem, but usually with a little time you can cut through the frost line & dig with no problem. Sorry, but I have no idea what the machine is worth.
Ground thawed some - and like you said - after a little time digging, finally got through the tough stuff and started digging much better. Any tips on how to use bucket to put a crown on gravel road - I know it would be a lot easier with an angled or tilting blade, but all I have is bucket with toothbar and road is not wide enough to do half at a time and I can't tilt bucket from side to side... I am new to having a skidsteer so have not learned techniques yet - so figured i"d ask someone who has maybe done this before... thanks
There have been times when I have placed a small row of gravel, about as wide as the tire & 2 or 3 inches tall on the high side of my cut, then I just start with that. After you get the grade started, you can easily maintain the grade. That has worked for me, I am sure there are other ways however. So how do you like the 1845??
If your talking about an 1845 that is what 80" wide at most probably 72" wide? Why do you NEED a crown on the road if it isn't wide enough to do in halfs? If it is low and holding water, just build it up a couple inches higher than your dirt on the sides of your road. I have an idea of what you are wanting to do, because I did one for a friend. I ended up hauling in a bunch of gravel with my belly dump, which is great for building roads and getting an instant crown....Short of making a pile directly in the center of your road and back dragging(without your tooth bar) down and working the crown in. I don't think you will get it.
I haven't had this skidsteer very long - but so far I can see that it will be a big help in getting some things done I have been needing to do for a while. I could have hired someone - but then you have to wait until they are available, and for some of the things that needed to be done - it would have required them to come back for some things. This way I can do things at my own pace and change plans if needed to accomodate. I like skidsteers in general simply because of they way they operate - I have a zero turn mower and wished I had gotten one sooner. The 1845 is older but seems to run excellent and all controls work without slop - haven't had it long but so far it's a hit. I'd like to try foot controls to see how they compare since I have driven this one - did operate foot control bobcat years ago moving brick around to scaffolds but not enough to remember how it was to compare to hand controls - I just remember how good the machine moved around with the levers so I had to get a zero turn mower when it was affordable. As far as the width of the gravel road - it's where the road needs work that's the problem - on one side there's a bank coming down to the road, on other side there's a drop-off - so getting machine on half the road is kind of difficult for me - but maybe after some practice i'll get the hang of it - probably need to rough up road with tooth bar - then remove it to fine tune things. I don't mind using elbow grease and a rake once I get everything loosened up - so maybe that'll work too