Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

855 Cummins Coolant Leak

BDrews ยท 2014-05-29 23:20

I picked up an 85 GMC General with a 855 Cummins in it. Today when I was walking by it there was a wet spot under it. With what time I to check under it, the leak looks like it's at the back of the engine running down around the bell housing. I plan of trying to check around the head gasket and what look like frost plugs back there. Is there somewhere else I should be looking for a leak (anything inside the bell housing) if either of those aren't leaking? Thanks, Brian

Replies4
  1. #1Mike L2014-05-30 19:31

    do you have a pressure tester to check it?

  2. #2BDrews2014-05-30 22:05

    No, I don't but I think I could probably find one. I tried feeling around at the back of the block today and couldn't feel anything wet below the head gasket line, same with the plugs at the back. Does any one have an idea where the heater core lines would run? Thanks, Brian

  3. #3Mike L2014-05-31 12:02

    Look for two heater hoses running from the firewall to the engine on the passenger side

  4. #4BDrews2014-06-11 23:59

    Finally found the leak, ended up being a line that runs from around the take area down across the back of the block. A couple of chunks of hose had started to rot out. Brian