Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

855 cummins id

gwhammy ยท 2014-04-14 08:30

I bought a 1994 9400 int. with a 855 cummins. It was built from a glider kit. I'm not familiar real well with this motor other than they are good motors. How do I identify what horsepower it is? The turbo is a bht3e if that matters. I'm guessing this is about the last year for the mechanical motor before they went to the n14 electronic motors. It's a spring ride 9 speed truck which is what I've been hunting for to make a dump truck.

Replies6
  1. #151kw2014-04-14 09:22

    Should be a tag on the accesory drive housing. Look in front of injection pump. Metal tag about 1 inch by 3 inches.

  2. #2wilko2014-04-14 09:32

    While you're looking at the tag note the CPL number. You'll probably need it sooner or later.

  3. #3kshansen2014-04-14 12:35

    Also look for tag on top surface of fuel pump. There are codes there that will tell a good pump shop or Cummins dealer what the HP should be, assuming it is still as built, no guarrentee on that!

  4. #4DoyleX2014-04-15 13:05

    You can look for all the tags you want. The ONLY number you need to find is the engine serial number or ESN. This located on the left side of the block right at the head/block gasket at the rear corner. It will be a 8 digit number stamped. Call cummins with that and they can tell you everything.

  5. #5kshansen2014-04-15 19:03

    That will tell you what the block was built as, but like many engines they may have been modified over time. Hard to say what may have happend in the 20 years since this 1994 left the factory. I know I have been guilty in the past of making some changes to engines either to save money or other reason.

  6. #6gwhammy2014-04-15 19:28

    Heck, a blind squirrel could have found that tag. I don't know how I missed it. Shows it's a 330 horse, sure feels a lot stronger than that. Think I'll get it running as a dump truck then see how it runs. It sure has a lot more torque than the m11 I'm using now. I've drove a few 855's that were real pigs.