Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

85xt steering problem

Mike Lang ยท 2013-05-28 19:37

I have an 85xt and the right steering will not engage immediately, control is pushed forward or reverse nothing happens then all of the sudden it engages and violently jerks the machine. the left control operates fine. Recently changed all oil and filters. Operated fine for two days and just started acting up. There is no excessive noise like the brake is still engaged. Machine will still drive with the left control arm. Anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

Replies20
  1. #1mikebramel2013-05-30 23:03

    Swap your pilot lines from left to right. If it changed sides pilot problem, if not, pump/motor problem.

  2. #2Mike Lang2013-06-01 19:55

    Thanks for your response. I tried looking up in the manual and online exactly what line and where they are located but did not find what lines you were referring to. Do you know the schematic I need to look for or is it called something else?

  3. #3mikebramel2013-06-01 20:10

    They would be the smallest lines on the pumps, one per side of each section. Two sections. So there are four. They will have pressure fittings

  4. #4mascas2013-06-07 08:01

    Check your charge pressure on the pump and stroke the handle. You may have a brake hanging up, low charge pressure, possible control issue on hydro.

  5. #5Lukee2014-09-21 00:25

    Hi Mike Did you find out what the problem with your 85xt was? We're having exactly the same problem right now, barely moving with the right control lever, if you push the rpms up, it jerks around and then it works fine.

  6. #6Mike Lang2015-05-13 17:41

    I have not resolved this problem. Were You able to fix your machine? sometimes it works and other times not. Mostly not.

  7. #7GaryHoff2015-05-16 13:29

    The 85xt was not a pilot controlled machine. It has mechanical linkages to the pumps, so you will find no pilot lines. This still leaves multiple things that it could be. Lets start with the most basic: 1. Check the condition of the control linkages. Are they loose or bent? Remember, it doesn't take much slop in the controls to cause issues. 2. Check the level of the chain drive. There is a pipe plug between the wheels. This is the level the oil should be at. Is it way overfilled? This would indicate a bad motor. 3. Does the engine load up when you first engage the right side? This would likely indicate a dragging brake or bad drive chains. Post when you know this.

  8. #8Mike Lang2015-05-17 14:22

    the linkage is solid, no slop in it, not bent. Oil level is good not overfilled. No load on the engine when lever is engaged. When it does finally engage it will operate at full torque until you return to neutral position where it may or may not hesitate again.

  9. #9Mike Lang2015-05-17 14:34

    Is there an electrical component that might be causing this problem?

  10. #10BillG2015-05-17 14:47

    These are mechanical linkage but... the mechanical linkage controls a servo at each pump, front and rear or left and right whichever you prefer. The servos have seals on them that wear out and leak oil past the piston rather than moving the swash plate. Also the swivel guide (which the piston shoes guide rides on) sits on three pins which have a tendency to wear into the guide. This lowers the output of the pump and also makes it lag behind the servo movement. It requires the pumps to be removed and serviced.

  11. #11GaryHoff2015-05-19 21:35

    There is a bulletin from case for this: "The control spool in the tandem pump has a slow response to position change. The momentary travel or travel hesitation symptoms are noticed on 85XT, 90XT, and 95XT series 2 machines that equipped with a tandem pump manufactured within a date code range of 03-20 to 03-47. The response of the travel control spools can be improved with the addition of a spring guide and replacement of the backlash spring and spring retainer plug. Install the spring guide, spring, and retainer plug for each spool." Check your date code on the pumps. If this doesn't match then you probably have a servo issue.

  12. #12Mike Lang2015-06-05 10:47

    I took the 85xt into the case dealer to have them check it out. two weeks and $2000.00 later they say it is a bad pump and drive unit. They did blow out a filter in the process of making adjustments. I wonder what damage that caused? I got the impression that they really don't know exactly what is the cause. They said that sometimes they would get the correct pressure and other times not. They called in a case rep and ran all the tests he suggested. they are telling me 8 to 10 thousand to fix. I can't afford that. Any ideas out there?

  13. #13mikebramel2015-06-05 11:02

    $2000 for just the diagnosis?????

  14. #14Mike Lang2015-06-05 12:22

    Yea, they initially said 3 to 4 hundred. I don't think they knew what they were doing. this was all tech time.

  15. #15Mike Lang2015-06-05 12:55

    Do you know if they make rebuild kits that I could do myself? The dealer said they didn't but I don't trust them. I am mechanically inclined, it would just take me more time. Does anyone know where a parts yard is that I could get replacement?

  16. #16GaryHoff2015-06-14 23:50

    It should be a sauer danfoss pump. Get your pump serial number tag and take it to a local hydraulic shop. There will probably be no kit to rebuild it, but just individual pieces. You will want all the seals/O-rings. I would disassemble the pump before ordering anything else, as parts get expensive. As for your bill at the dealership, I would debate that. They should have called you as soon as it went over the initial estimate. What pressures did they say were wrong? Is it the charge filter that they blew off?

  17. #17Mike Lang2015-06-15 13:31

    They said that they were adjusting the pressure up and hit the aux which caused the pressure to spike at 1500 which blew the filter. I have gotten a lot of conflicting information as to whether these pumps can be rebuilt on site due to lack of available parts and the possibility of contamination which would lead to pump failure again. This would put me back to where I am today with no machine after spending $5000.00 plus. Some mechanics said they could rebuild at a cost of $5000 plus $2500 for a drive motor while others have said it is not worth the risk and to put in a new pump and drive motor at a cost of $15000. Don't know who to believe. Any advise?

  18. #18GaryHoff2015-06-15 21:46

    Not sure that I follow what the dealer has told you. The charge pump has a priority valve to the hydrostatic pumps, then the excess flow goes to the loader/bucket/aux circuits. So, the only way I see the charge filter blowing, is if they left some line capped that they shouldn't have. So I would have to agree that they did not fully know what they were doing. You will have to weigh your options. If the pump blew up, then there will be significant debris in the system. From your other posts, it doesn't sound like the pump blew up. It sounds like there would be minor contamination, and probably a servo issue. Also, it only sounds like only one pump. Your pumps and motors can be re-built, but you will need to remove them from your machine. You can remove them yourself. Contamination is always a factor, so make sure to clean your hydraulic tank, use new oil and replace all your filters. It would also be a good idea to clean or replace your hoses from the pumps to motors. As long as the system has been thoroughly cleaned, there should be no issues with contamination. As long as you do the system cleaning, and pump removal and install, your costs should be reasonable. Have your mechanic ready the pump before you start up.

  19. #19handsome2017-11-13 20:02

    did anyone get to the bottom of this problem, im experiencing the same issue

  20. #20GaryHoff2017-11-14 23:35

    I believe he ended up rebuilding the hydraulic pump to fix the issue.