Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 1835B the Knock was a bad u-joint. Now how to replace it?

adam.neusbaum ยท 2013-05-29 15:16

CASE 1835B U JOINT YOKE REMOVAL So I torched out the cross u joint this morning but there still isn't enough room to pull it straight off the spline. What's easier to move, the engine or hydraulic pump assembly unit? If i remove just the flywheel will that gain me enough room to pull the yoke off? It all started with a knock I heard & when I inspected the universal joint, sure enough there it was. Everything in this unit is tightly squeezed in there. I see on that there is an adapter plate to the flywheel, I wonder if that would gain me the 3/4"-1" I need. Advice please.

Replies1
  1. #1alrman2013-05-29 17:42

    It's been many years since I have had to do such a repair. From memory I used to move the engine forward a little to do this. That would involve removing the radiator. I would think it is easier to do it that way than to play with all those hoses. I would not think the pumps would move all that much without removing some of the hoses at least, & with hydrostatics being involved they are best left sealed up to prevent contamination without the proper sealing caps & plugs.