I had a bolt vibrate out of bottom of my injector pump,it goes in on the triangular mounting flange. Could not find original so ordered replacement from dealer After receiving it I installed it and tightens it up and as I did I noticed change in engine rpm, assumed it was due to fluid pressure since fuel was leaking from this hole...well I tightens it down and it caused engine to stall. What I wasn't aware of is the flange and two stage washer is to lock bolt in outward position or inward to lock pump shaft via the figure 8 shaped washer. Long story short it will not crank now,fuel all the way to pump bleeding screw but nothing out of high pressure side of pump....opened small rectangular side cover while turning engine over and see not internal parts moving. Any help as to what may have happens and what I must do to resolve problem please help....this has humbled me because I have been a tech for 20 years in Automotive world and should have known better...got in a rush and it bit me.
I might be off in left field here, but I think you have internal pump issues if you have fuel showing on the mount flange. That should only have the drive nose and gear which sticks into the timing case. Fuel showing there is probably a bad seal on the main shaft of your pump. If I understand what you're saying correctly, the engine is now stuck? That would indicate the leaking fuel has filled the crank case with fuel to the point probably leaked past the rings from the bottom and hydro locked it up. The rpm change was most likely from the pump time changing because it rotated relative to the timing gears. Another thing to watch out for is that the pump drive gear. It could have come loose or caused timing gear damage if it was run with the pump flopping around. I'd start by pulling the dipstick, then move towards more complicated checks, like verifying the timing and or making sure the pump gear is attached and turning. Greyson
No Sir...engine turns over fine...the bolt I am speaking of is to lock pump shaft to prevent pump rotation during removal I believe...I tightend it with engine running...the washer is shaped like a figure 8 and one hole is big and other end of washer is smaller...I tightend with bolt toward big hole in washer allowing it to bottom out on shaft while engine was running. Had I had washer slid to small hole it would have held bolt out farther preventing it from touching shaft inside. My mistake but it stopped engine when I tightend it down...no wired breaking noise or anything it was just as if I cut key off. Anyways after I did this and realized what I had done I backed bolt out and tuned engine over(turns over fine) no fuel was coming out high pressure side of pump anymore so I checked lift pump(had fuel) checked bleeders on pump ( had fuel) but nothing out of pump. Removed small side cover on pump , rotated engine and internals inside pump don't move...I'm thinking I may have caused it to shear key way on pump gear inside timing cover or caused shaft to shear into...I don't know how to post photo, that may help
What happened is, you broke the drive shaft of the pump.. not cheap.. The lock timing bolt applied side thrust against the pump hsg and snapped the shaft.. Remove the cover infront of the inj. pump.. have someone crank the engine over and look inside the hole.. IF the nut on the drive gear is turning but the guts INSIDE THE PUMP ARENT.. the drive shaft is snapped..
OR like you said.. the key is sheared.. if it takes one.. post the #'s off the name plate and I'll tell you right quick..
no matter what happened.. the pump will have to be removed.. inorder to be repaired..
The number off of the bradded aluminum plate is (U3042F772) I hope that's the one your asking about
Also the small round plastic cover on front of timing cover that appears to be inline with pump gear doesn't want to come off...is there a trick to removing it?...it appears to just push on but I pried on it pretty hard and it just wants to flex...any suggestions?
It needs to be unscrewed with the aid of a large pair of multigrip pliers. You WILL need a puller to remove the timing gear from the pump.... Do you have a service manual? If not, I strongly suggest you aquire one.
According to the parts list it DOES have a key.. so more than likely, the shaft has sheared.. Hopefully THATS ALL that's seized.. IF it seized the head & rotor your looking at $$$.. The dr. sh isn't cheap either.. about 200. +.. for new.. P# Delphi..7180-136B- drive shaft.. Key- NW1-22